Ways to bend radiation question?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of radiation and its ability to be manipulated by various factors. While electromagnetic radiation can be bent by gravity and matter, particle radiation can also be affected by mass, gravity, and electromagnetic fields. The conversation also touches on the idea of heat radiation and its visibility in different temperature scenarios.
philrainey
I'm fascinated by radiation as I have been learning a tidy bit about it. I have learned that radiation can be bent by refraction and have heard some idea that it can be bent by gravity ie a black hole. What other things bend electromagnetic radiation? Does electromagnetic radiation get bent passing through a magnetic field or a electrical field. Since this is what these waves are made of I thought perhaps they may be affected by these fields. Are there other effects that bend electromagnetic radiation?

Science news on Phys.org
What kind of radiation are you referring too? The word radiation can be define as: "the spontaneous emission of a stream of particles or electromagnetic rays in nuclear decay" which really is just a method of energy transfer. EM radiation can be manipulated only by gravity and matter, as far as I know (not far). While particle radiation, such as beta decay, can be manipulated by mass, gravity, and EM fields.

I don't know about the "jelly vacuum" theory, I've never heard of it.

Topher925 said:
What kind of radiation are you referring too? The word radiation can be define as: "the spontaneous emission of a stream of particles or electromagnetic rays in nuclear decay" which really is just a method of energy transfer. EM radiation can be manipulated only by gravity and matter, as far as I know (not far). While particle radiation, such as beta decay, can be manipulated by mass, gravity, and EM fields.

I don't know about the "jelly vacuum" theory, I've never heard of it.

I'm thinking about heat radiation across a vacuum from a hot body (say 3000 degrees C to a cold body (say 1500 degrees C). I suppose at that temperture some of it will be visable light?

Last edited:

1. How can radiation be bent or redirected?

Radiation can be bent or redirected through various methods such as using mirrors or lenses, applying electric or magnetic fields, or using diffraction gratings.

2. What are the practical applications of bending radiation?

Bending radiation has many practical applications, including in medical imaging, telecommunications, and solar energy production.

3. Can radiation be bent without altering its properties?

No, bending radiation will alter its properties such as wavelength and intensity. However, the overall energy and momentum of the radiation will remain conserved.

4. How does the wavelength of radiation affect its ability to be bent?

The shorter the wavelength of radiation, the easier it is to bend. This is why visible light is easier to bend than radio waves.

5. Is it possible to bend all types of radiation?

Yes, all types of radiation, including electromagnetic waves, particles, and acoustic waves, can be bent or redirected using different techniques.