Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ways to bend radiation question?

1. Aug 14, 2008 #1
    I'm fascinated by radiation as I have been learning a tidy bit about it. I have learned that radiation can be bent by refraction and have heard some idea that it can be bent by gravity ie a black hole. What other things bend electromagnetic radiation? Does electromagnetic radiation get bent passing through a magnetic field or a electrical field. Since this is what these waves are made of I thought perhaps they may be affected by these fields. Are there other effects that bend electromagnetic radiation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2008 #2
    What kind of radiation are you referring too? The word radiation can be define as: "the spontaneous emission of a stream of particles or electromagnetic rays in nuclear decay" which really is just a method of energy transfer. EM radiation can be manipulated only by gravity and matter, as far as I know (not far). While particle radiation, such as beta decay, can be manipulated by mass, gravity, and EM fields.

I don't know about the "jelly vacuum" theory, I've never heard of it.
  4. Aug 15, 2008 #3
    I'm thinking about heat radiation across a vaccuum from a hot body (say 3000 degrees C to a cold body (say 1500 degrees C). I suppose at that temperture some of it will be visable light?
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?