We mathematicians are all a bit crazy

• MHB
  • Thread starter ModusPonens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, this thread focuses on a famous and appropriate quote about mathematicians being changed to serve the purpose of sharing crazy mathematician's stories. One story involves Serge Lang interrupting lectures with his famous phrase "Your notation sucks!", and another story involves a prank played on him by Mazur involving a T-shirt with the same phrase. Additionally, there is a story about G.H. Hardy writing a fake telegram claiming to have proven Riemann's hypothesis as a form of insurance. Another amusing story involves a competitive bet between Erdos and Graham involving climbing stairs. And finally, there is a humorous discussion about the refusal of a loan for the identity \sin2r \:=\:2\sin r, with the punchline being the need
ModusPonens
The title of this thread is a famous _ and apropriate _ quote about mathematicians. As per request it was changed so that this thread serves the purpose of sharing crazy mathematician's stories (observation: the apostrofe is before the s ;) )

I'm sure many of you heard this before, but I love this story. Here's how it's told:

Serge Lang was known to interrupt lectures with “Your notation sucks!”.

Mazur decided to play a prank on him: he made a T-shirt with “Your notation sucks” on it, and gave a lecture to an audience including Lang, intending to give the shirt to Lang as soon as he complained about the notation. Lang was silent, even though Mazur’s notation was deliberately bad. Eventually, Mazur said, “Let $\Xi$ be a complex number, and consider $\frac{\Xi}{\overline{\Xi}}$” . Finally, Lang said “Your notation sucks!”, and Mazur gave him the shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: The legend of the bad notation

Can't resist : (Rofl) [and rolled off the chair, eventually...]

mathbalarka said:
Can't resist : [and rolled off the chair, eventually...]

Reminds me of the time when explaining to a student that:
$$\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac 8 x = \infty$$
His logical answer to this other question was:
$$\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac 3 x = \omega$$

G.H.Hardy once had to cross the Channel while a fierce storm was raging on. Hardy wrote a telegram before departure in which he claimed to have proven Riemann's hypothesis. When he arrived safely, he had to explain to his friends that he was just making a kind of insurance policy: he knew that God wouldn't let him die with such a huge discovery being lost.

[EDIT -- @ I like Serena : Haha!]

In a certain seminar, a lecture was held in which a very famous mathematician was giving a short talk on mathematics. After the lecture, another very famous person-a physicist-who was sitting in the first row, stood up and spoke, "Yes, it's all very true but physics would be only just a week behind compared to it is now". The mathematician stared at him for sometimes, frowned, and said "Exactly, and that'd be the week the God created the world".

The famous mathematician is none but Mark Kac, and the famous physicist ... well, there is only one man in the world who can say such cheeky things! :D

Last edited:

I like Serena said:
Reminds me of the time when explaining to a student that:
$$\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac 8 x = \infty$$
His logical answer to this other question was:
$$\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac 3 x = \omega$$
A for the creativity:P

regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

"The man who loved only numbers" is a gold mine for this topic. There's one story I particularly like, which reveals a bit of the relation that Paul Erdos and Rolnald Graham had:

Erdos and Graham had a competitive spirit, in an unusual way. Since Erdos was older and frail _ the opposite of Graham _ they made bets with advantage to Erdos. One of these bets was: Erdos bet that he Graham could not climb stairs at twice the speed of Erdos. So they went from floor 1 to floor 4. Erdos had the cronometer. When the two arrived at the top Graham asked, anxiously, what was the time. Erdos just said "Forget it!"

Why was the identity [tex]\sin2r \:=\:2\sin r[/tex] refused a loan?

He needed a [tex]\cos r.[/tex]

Attachments

• IMG_25230805541472.jpeg
    IMG_25230805541472.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 88

Brilliant, Masters!

Thank you!

soroban said:

Why was the identity [tex]\sin2r \:=\:2\sin r[/tex] refused a loan?

He needed a [tex]\cos r.[/tex]

And there was I - naively - thinking it's because it couldn't give a \(\displaystyle \text{Shi}_2(t)\).NB.

\(\displaystyle \text{Shi}_2(t)=\int_0^t \frac{\sinh^{-1}x}{x}\,dx\)

1. Why do mathematicians often say they are "a bit crazy"?

This phrase is often used in a self-deprecating manner by mathematicians to express the complex and sometimes unconventional thought processes that are required in their work.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea that mathematicians are "crazy"?

There is no scientific evidence to support this idea. While mathematicians may approach problems in a unique way, their thinking is still logical and grounded in mathematical principles.

3. Are there any famous mathematicians who were known for their eccentric behavior?

Yes, there have been several mathematicians throughout history who were known for their eccentricities, such as Paul Erdős and John Nash. However, this does not mean that all mathematicians exhibit this type of behavior.

4. How does the stereotype of mathematicians being "crazy" affect the field of mathematics?

The stereotype can perpetuate the idea that mathematics is a difficult and inaccessible subject, which may discourage individuals from pursuing it. It also ignores the many mathematicians who do not fit this stereotype.

5. What can we do to challenge the stereotype of mathematicians being "crazy"?

Educating others about the diverse and logical nature of mathematics and highlighting the achievements of mathematicians from diverse backgrounds can help challenge this stereotype. Additionally, promoting a positive and inclusive culture within the field can also help combat negative stereotypes.