Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

We need a Bologna forum

1. Apr 10, 2015 #1

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

And it could be a sub forum in the Sci-fi section. I have noticed Greg and several senior staff members close posts (and I agree, nearly everyone of them was offering large helpings of Bologna). However, they may believe themselves and feel censored.

I feel that if you relocate their threads to the Bologna forum, others can try to educate them, or simply let them fester in that section. I admit you may be providing a forum for crackpots, but it will be labeled as such to the casual visitor and noted as NOT a place to get genuine proven science.

And every so often, a crackpot may jest absorb some knowledge or education and move past their misguided beliefs (I feel even a 10% correction of fallacies to be worth the forum)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2015 #2
    We did have a "Bologna" forum for about 8 years. It didn't work out. PF's mission is one of quality. We are much better off now. Trust me :smile:

4. Apr 10, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It was more like 0.001%.

5. Apr 10, 2015 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Funny thing about bologna-grinders, they don't think of themselves as bologna-grinders. So they don't tend to stay in the bologna shop.

PF has a long history of trying to support them, but as others have pointed out, it just does not work out. What it did do, was drive away a lot of bologna-adverse members.

There are lots of fora out there that do support them. They can go there.

6. Apr 10, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

CalcNerd, as the others have already pointed out it doesn't work. The suggestion is made with great regularity and that horse has been beaten, shot, stabbed, decapitated, poisoned, and severely kicked. It is dead. I suggest a forum search.

7. Apr 11, 2015 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

As a something of a connoisseur of the uh, subject matter, I'd like to ask where does the 'Bologna' and/or 'Bologna grinder' come from, etymologically speaking. Never heard of it used in such a context before.

8. Apr 11, 2015 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Balogna? As in baloney? Like, "you're full of baloney"?

9. Apr 11, 2015 #8

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I hate you people.......

10. Apr 11, 2015 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, bologna-extruder sounded even less appetizing.

11. Apr 11, 2015 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yuck !

12. Apr 11, 2015 #11

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Making sausage is like politics. You really don't want to see what goes inside it. ?:)

13. Apr 13, 2015 #12

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you all for taking time to respond. I have seen a few posters already who have argued from bad positions, get good feedback, and then still fail to follow up on provided explanations contrary to their beliefs (head in sand syndrome?). So, I can understand the frustration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook