Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wear resistant, transparent, flexible thin film, is there any?

1. Jul 20, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

I need a coating material for an moving object. The coating surface slide over another surface. The coating needs to be transparent to allow optics tracking, and flexible like paper because inner object is flexible, and it needs to be wear resistant to keep the transparent surface working well over time.

Is there any kind of material like that? I think about some kind of thin film or some spray coating.

Any info would be appreciated.

Regard

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2013 #2

Dotini

Gold Member

You might try ISC surface guard racer's tape HT2308 (8 mil urethane), also known as helicopter tape. Available at amazon, etc.

4. Jul 23, 2013 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It seems like it would lose its optical transparency over time due to scratches from the sliding, no? Can you use some forced air to keep the two surfaces from making contact? Can you say more about the application?

5. Jul 23, 2013 #4

Dotini

Gold Member

I'm sorry I can't help you much more. From my experience, this strong, durable, clear tape is used primarily over racing car bodywork to prevent scratches from grit, small objects and contact with other cars. It clings ferociously. From the sounds of your situation, you want another object to slide across (the tape) more or less continuously. This helicopter tape might work for a period of time, especially if was in contact with a roller and not a solid object.

6. Jul 24, 2013 #5
    Unfortunately, I think you are seeking "unobtainium".
    The requirements for "sliding surfaces", "flexible", and "transparency" are (in general) mutually exclusive.

I have experience with something called "Exatec E900" coating developed by SABIC Innovative Plastics. It is a glass-like coating applied to plastic substrates with a PECVD process. Typically it is applied to polycarbonate substrates of 4mm to 12mm thickness. I suppose it could be applied to films. It has good abrasion resistance, but still clouds over due to abrasion scratches over time.

It is still in development and being primed for commercial technology release. It ain't cheap, nor can it be purchased at the local hardware store.

It is a problem that many companies are trying to solve for various reasons. No one that I am aware of has developed the perfect solution yet.

7. Jul 24, 2013 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jul 31, 2013 #7
    There are a number of oils and lubricants that are flexible, transparant, and wear resistant, and self healing as an added bonus. They surely can be applied as thin film.

9. Aug 10, 2013 #8

meBigGuy

Gold Member

What about the flrxible screen protectors for ipads.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook