Find Weight at Mounting Point of Bar w/ Distance

• Thread starter Rodney D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the equation for the resultant weight at the mounting point of the bar is 3 * weight at 1 meter out from the mounting point.
Rodney D
So I have a question that I figure there is a simple equation for but I don't know what it is and when I have done some tests I see that the equation may not be a simple as I thought. Any help with find the equation to this question is much appreciated.

Situation:
- I have a bar that is solid mounted to a structure and running at 90 degrees of the structure
- The bar length may be anything ie: 1 meter
- I have a weight sitting on that bar at the far end from the mounting point, maybe 50kg

Question:
- What is the calculation to find the resultant weight at the mounting point of the bar?

When I tested this with a 15kg weight on scales at 1 meter out from the mounting point the scales read 45kg so it has multiplied by 3 times but this was a crude test done on scales and in a garage so I can't trust it 100% and it doesn't give me a formula;)

Any help is appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Rodney, :welcome:

Rodney D said:
the scales read 45kg
So where did the additional 30 come from ? Could you add a sketch of the setup ?

This is the idea, I was able to hold down the lever on a set of scales with my own weight. I weighed all the components together and the started sliding the 15kg weight down the lever until it got to about 1 meter out from the scales, this had added about another 30kg to the total weight. What's the equation for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
20170512_180953.jpg

Rodney D said:
What's the equation for this
Scale should show 15 kg (if the mass of the lever can be ignored).
If it shows something else the scale (electronic?) algorithm is misled by the uneven distribution over the sensors.
A mechanical scale might show less than 15 kg, depending on how it's constructed.

[edit] I had fun experimenting with a 5 kg suitcase holding it close to me and at arms length. No significant difference (< 0.3 %) Soehnle type 63749. Also shows no difference if I stand as much as possible to one side on the thing.

Hmm, that's interesting because if you forget the scales and just hold a 15kg weight down by your side this is easy but if you try and hold it out at arms length it is difficult, why is that? I'm going to have to try my test again haha

Rodney D said:
why is that
Has to do with the force needed to produce the torque needed to produce the lifting force at arm's-length distance :smile:. ##\ ## See the biceps figure here for an example. Shoulder muscles are even more complicated

Rodney D said:
This is the idea, I was able to hold down the lever on a set of scales with my own weight. I weighed all the components together and the started sliding the 15kg weight down the lever until it got to about 1 meter out from the scales, this had added about another 30kg to the total weight.

The diagram you've drawn wouldn't cause any apparent increase in force at the scale, unless the scale isn't designed to control for a moment load at its surface.

The problem you're trying to solve might be better described as a "moment balance" problem. A moment (a.k.a. torque) is proportional to the length of a lever arm as well as the force applied at its end.

See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(physics)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_equilibrium

You need to investigate the mechanism by which the scale is resisting the moment developed by the applied weight and the effect that this moment has on the scale reading.

1. How do I find the weight at the mounting point of a bar with a given distance?

To find the weight at the mounting point of a bar, you will need to use the formula W = M x g, where W is the weight, M is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. First, measure the distance from the mounting point to the center of mass of the bar. Then, divide the weight of the bar by the distance to get the weight at the mounting point.

2. What is the center of mass and why is it important in finding weight at the mounting point?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed. It is important in finding the weight at the mounting point because it helps determine the distance from the mounting point to the center of mass, which is needed in the formula to calculate the weight at the mounting point.

3. Can I use the same formula to find the weight at any mounting point on the bar?

Yes, you can use the same formula to find the weight at any mounting point on the bar as long as you know the distance from the mounting point to the center of mass. This formula is based on the principle of torque, which states that the weight at a certain point is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the distance from that point to the center of mass.

4. How does the weight at the mounting point affect the stability of the bar?

The weight at the mounting point is an important factor in determining the stability of a bar. If the weight at the mounting point is too heavy, it can cause the bar to tip over. On the other hand, if the weight at the mounting point is too light, the bar may not have enough stability and could easily be knocked over. It is important to find the right balance of weight at the mounting point for optimal stability.

5. Is there any other method to find the weight at the mounting point of a bar?

Yes, there are other methods to find the weight at the mounting point of a bar. One method is to use a force plate or scale to directly measure the weight at the mounting point. Another method is to use a balance scale and a known weight to find the weight at the mounting point through the principle of equilibrium. However, the formula method described earlier is the most common and simple method to find the weight at the mounting point.