Weight Away from Earth's Surface [CONCEPT-NO MATH]

In summary, when calculating weights away from Earth's surface, the distance used in the formula is the distance from the center of the earth, not from the Earth's surface. Additionally, the formula F=mAmB/d^2 is used to calculate the weight, with the distance being the distance from the center of the earth.
SigFig

Homework Statement

When calculating weights away from Earth's surface, for example:

At 6.38x10^3 km away from Earth's surface a spacecraft s weight is d=rE+rE or 2rE
Then F=(1/4)(SpaceCraftWeight)

What I don't understand is why the distance is rE+rE?

Or when 1.28x10^4 km away
d=rE+2rE or 3rE ?

I'm also assuming since F=mAmB/d^2
That's why F= (1/(x^2)(W) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
SigFig said:

Homework Statement

When calculating weights away from Earth's surface, for example:

At 6.38x10^3 km away from Earth's surface a spacecraft s weight is d=rE+rE or 2rE
Then F=(1/4)(SpaceCraftWeight)

What I don't understand is why the distance is rE+rE?

Or when 1.28x10^4 km away
d=rE+2rE or 3rE ?

I'm also assuming since F=mAmB/d^2
That's why F= (1/(x^2)(W) ?

Because the d in F=mAmB/d^2 is the distance from the center of the earth. Not the distance to the Earth's surface.

1. How does weight change on Earth's surface compared to in space?

The weight of an object on Earth's surface is its mass multiplied by the force of gravity. In space, there is no force of gravity acting on the object, so its weight is essentially zero.

2. Does an object's weight change if it is moved to a different location on Earth's surface?

Yes, an object's weight will change depending on its location on Earth's surface. This is because the force of gravity is not uniform across the entire surface of the Earth. It is strongest at the poles and weakest at the equator.

3. How is weight different from mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can change depending on the force of gravity, but mass remains constant.

4. Can an object have weight without having mass?

No, an object cannot have weight without having mass. Weight is a product of an object's mass and the force of gravity acting on it. Without mass, there can be no weight.

5. How does weightlessness occur?

Weightlessness occurs when an object is in freefall or when the force of gravity acting on the object is essentially zero. This can happen in space or during a freefall on Earth, such as in an elevator or during skydiving.