Calculating Weight Capacity of Steel Storage Shelf

In summary, the conversation is discussing the weight capacity of a steel storage shelf that is 119in long with 10in uprights every 37in. The shelf is made of 2x2x1/4 HSS and the person is trying to determine the max load it can hold. They are considering the reactions at each upright and also checking for bending/shear stress in the horizontal supports. The width of the shelf is 14in and the person is asking for advice on how to determine the max bending/shear stress.
blake92
I am trying to determine the weight capacity of a steel storage shelf i am making. The shelf will be 119in long with a 10in upright every 37in. The shelf will be made out of 2x2x1/4 HSS. In order tod etermine how much it can hold, do i determine how much each 10in column can support with a force straight down?

if doing that i determined the reactions at each upright for one side,

R1= 2/5WL
R2= 1.1WL
R3= 1.1WL
R4= 2/5WL

W= max uniform load applied (unknown)
L= length (37in)

Just curious if I am doing this correctly or if I am forgetting about something.

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 399
Engineering news on Phys.org
What's the width of this shelf?

In addition to the max load the supports can handle, you should also check the bending/shear stresses in the horizontal supports as well.
With such a short support length (10"), buckling of the supports may not be the limiting factor in determining the max. load.

SteamKing said:
What's the width of this shelf?

In addition to the max load the supports can handle, you should also check the bending/shear stresses in the horizontal supports as well.
With such a short support length (10"), buckling of the supports may not be the limiting factor in determining the max. load.

14" wide.

Also i thought of that as well but its been a long time since iv done stuff like this which is why i wanted some advice.
How would i determine my max bending/shear stress?

Question 1:

What is the formula for calculating weight capacity of a steel storage shelf?

The formula for calculating weight capacity of a steel storage shelf is (shelf length * shelf width * shelf thickness * steel density * safety factor) / number of shelves.

Question 2:

What is the safety factor and how is it determined?

The safety factor is a number that accounts for any potential errors or flaws in the calculation and ensures that the shelf can safely hold the desired weight. It is typically determined by the manufacturer based on their own testing and standards.

Question 3:

Does the type of steel used affect the weight capacity of the shelf?

Yes, the type of steel used can affect the weight capacity of the shelf. Different types of steel have different strength and density, which can impact the overall weight capacity of the shelf.

Question 4:

How do I determine the weight of the items I want to store on the shelf?

To determine the weight of the items, you can use a scale or refer to the product's weight information. It is important to also consider any potential weight increase due to stacking or uneven distribution of weight on the shelf.

Question 5:

Are there any other factors to consider when calculating weight capacity for a steel storage shelf?

Yes, in addition to the dimensions and type of steel, you should also consider the quality of the shelf's construction, the spacing between shelves, and the distribution of weight across the shelf. It is always best to err on the side of caution and choose a shelf with a higher weight capacity than needed.