Weight Change: Earth vs Building Top | F=GMm/r^2

In summary: OK...I think I understand...and yes I have been doing so...I have been noticing that some of the problems are easier to follow along than others...some are not very clear at all...I think I will try to find a supplemental book that I can read so I can learn more from it than from these sample problems. I am not sure what to do from here, I have read the chapters multiple times, and other than practicing problems I am not sure what else to do. I am a visual learner so I am not sure what to do.In summary, the conversation involves a problem where the weight of a person is calculated using the F=GMm/r^2 equation at two different elevations - Earth level and the
SadPanda6022
I attached picture.

I took the F=GMm/r^2 equation and did it for both Earth level, (radius of earth) with 650/9.8 as m

and for F at the top of the building, with r being the radius of the Earth plus a mile (1.609E3 m).

Please help?

Attachments

• 13-8.jpg
    13-8.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
SadPanda6022 said:
I attached picture.

I took the F=GMm/r^2 equation and did it for both Earth level, (radius of earth) with 650/9.8 as m

and for F at the top of the building, with r being the radius of the Earth plus a mile (1.609E3 m).

Please help?

For this problem, W = F = GMm / r2,

where
M - mass of the earth,
m - your mass,
G - Universal Gravitational constant

By changing elevation, does G, M or m change?

Sorry if I didn't include enough on this question. I thought the attached photo was enough but I guess not.

I assumed that the only change would be the r^2 in the equation.

So I put it through the eq. F = GMm / r2
but just increased the radius. Now I know the weight would change as the rider moved, but it is merely asking for the difference between the top and bottom (earth level) of the building so I would assume (hopefully correctly) that 'm' is static and only changes in reference to distance from the Ecom

so, I had Emass=5.9736E24
Eradius=6.378E6
add on a mile
Etop=6.379609E6

I got for bottom 649.651N and 649.324N... but that isn't right...

SadPanda6022 said:
I attached picture.

Please help?
Your answer is just a bit inaccurate, but I'm not able to follow your working from this bare description. Please post the details.

SadPanda6022 said:
Eradius=6.378E6
add on a mile
Etop=6.379609E6

Your weight is 650 N on the ground, period. By how much will this number change 1609 meters up in the air?

You don't have to fool with G, M, or m, because all these number cancel out.

SadPanda6022 said:
Eradius=6.378E6
add on a mile
Etop=6.379609E6

You have to be careful when the calculation involves finding a small difference between large numbers. Any little rounding errors can lead to major inaccuracy in the answer.
A safer way to proceed is to think in terms of fractional change. A change of 1 mile in roughly 4000 miles (no need to convert to km) is what fraction? Since the distance gets squared, how big a fraction should the change in weight be?

Problem in text format: In 1956, Frank Lloyd Wright proposed the construction of a mile-high building in Chicago. Suppose the building had been constructed. Ignoring Earth's rotation, find the change in your weight if you were to ride an elevator from the street level, where you weigh 650 N, to the top of the building.

@SteamKing > I assume it means weight in reference to gravitational pull of the Earth versus overall mass? I am not sure. Example answers from chegg and yahoo answers correlate with the answer I am getting. ..

@haruspex > Fearth = ((6.67E-11)(650/9.8)(5.97E24))/(6.378E6)^2

Ftop = ((6.67E-11)(650/9.8)(5.97E24))/6.379609E6)^2

SadPanda6022 said:
Ftop = ((6.67E-11)(650/9.8)(5.97E24))/6.379609E6)^2
Yes, I figured out from your post #4 what you had done, but didn't see that until my post 5. Can you answer my post 7?

Ah, a change of 1 in 4000 is 0.00025?

SadPanda6022 said:
Ah, a change of 1 in 4000 is 0.00025?
Right, so what fractional change should that lead to in weight?

650N >...0.1625N change...but its squared...so would change double to 0.325?

SadPanda6022 said:
its squared...so would change double to 0.325?
Yes.

So...what radius should I use...4000 is ok but with only 2% available lee-way I should use the most accurate possible. I do not like how it is not given in the problem...

so google says 3959miles...so using fractional change =0.32836...etc.

which it tells me is wrong... :/

SadPanda6022 said:
So...what radius should I use...4000 is ok but with only 2% available lee-way I should use the most accurate possible. I do not like how it is not given in the problem...

so google says 3959miles...so using fractional change =0.32836...etc.
OK. 4000 had about a 1% error. The doubling of the fractional change does not alter the percentage error in the fractional change, so it should be within the allowed margin.

SadPanda6022 said:
which it tells me is wrong... :/
Does it need a signed answer?

ok...so I will try 4000, with 0.325??

...not that I know of??

These online assignments are very disheartening...

SadPanda6022 said:
ok...so I will try 4000, with 0.325??
If it didn't like .328 I don't believe it will be happy with .325.

I agree with you there... but I have no clue why..

The sample problem linked yields a positive answer.
ref.jpg

SadPanda6022 said:
I agree with you there... but I have no clue why..

The sample problem linked yields a positive answer. View attachment 91048
Sure, but that was not asking about a change in force. Try -.328.

Likes SadPanda6022
It took it. So is that typically universal when it comes to gravitational bodies and moving away from them? I mean it makes sense..I move away, I weigh less, so the change in force is always negative as I move away.

I am sure you could complicate that if the body being acted on was placed between two gravitational bodies...then I am assuming +and - would be in relation to the reference point, or what G you were using...

Just trying to make sure I understand the concepts..

THANKS BY THE WAY!

SadPanda6022 said:
It took it. So is that typically universal when it comes to gravitational bodies and moving away from them? I mean it makes sense..I move away, I weigh less, so the change in force is always negative as I move away.

I am sure you could complicate that if the body being acted on was placed between two gravitational bodies...then I am assuming +and - would be in relation to the reference point, or what G you were using...

Just trying to make sure I understand the concepts..
Yes, it would need to make the reference direction clearer in that case. Of course, you could argue that you were given the reference direction in the statement that the ground level weight is 650N, not -650N. The change would then be clearly negative.

Likes SadPanda6022
I was going to come back and give you praise somehow but...I have no idea how forums work as this is the first one I have ever frequented. So I gave you a measly message like.

Thanks for the help!

Related to Weight Change: Earth vs Building Top | F=GMm/r^2

1. What is the relationship between weight change and distance from the center of the Earth?

The weight of an object changes according to its distance from the center of the Earth, following the inverse square law. This means that as the distance from the center of the Earth increases, the weight of an object decreases.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its weight on the Earth's surface?

The mass of an object does not affect its weight on the Earth's surface. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, and it is determined by the object's mass and the strength of the gravitational field.

3. Why does an object weigh less on the top of a building compared to the surface of the Earth?

This is because the distance between the object and the center of the Earth is greater at the top of a building compared to the Earth's surface. This results in a weaker gravitational force acting on the object, causing it to weigh less.

4. How does the force of gravity affect weight change on Earth?

The force of gravity on Earth is constant, but weight change occurs due to the distance between an object and the center of the Earth. The closer an object is to the center, the stronger the gravitational force and the greater its weight. As the distance increases, the gravitational force decreases, resulting in a decrease in weight.

5. Is weight change affected by the mass of the Earth?

Yes, the mass of the Earth does play a role in weight change. The larger the mass of the Earth, the stronger its gravitational force, and the greater the weight of an object on its surface. However, the mass of the object also plays a significant role in determining weight as it is directly proportional to the force of gravity acting on it.