Calculate Weight of 75.0kg Woman on Earth

In summary, a woman with a mass of 75.0kg would have a weight of 735N on earth. The equation used is W = m * a, where a = g, the acceleration due to gravity. This is a well-known constant that describes the strength of Earth's gravity near its surface. The value of g is 9.8 m/s^2, which can be found in most physics textbooks.
Mathcaptor

Homework Statement

A woman has a mass of 75.0kg. What is her weight on earth?

Homework Equations

Unknown.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been looking in my textbook for some kind of equation or a conversion, but I cannot find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep looking! (It has something to do with the acceleration due to gravity.)

Doc Al said:
Keep looking! (It has something to do with the acceleration due to gravity.)

Is it possible that it is W = m * a

Mathcaptor said:
I'm not really sure what g is.
g is the acceleration due to gravity, a well-known constant (that I'm sure you're expected to know) that describes the strength of Earth's gravity near its surface. Read the link--it's there.

What book are you using?

Doc Al said:
g is the acceleration due to gravity, a well-known constant (that I'm sure you're expected to know) that describes the strength of Earth's gravity near its surface. Read the link--it's there.

What book are you using?

Oh, I see. It is 9.8 m/s^2!

1. How is the weight of a person calculated?

The weight of a person is calculated by multiplying their mass (in kilograms) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. Why is the weight of a person different on Earth compared to other planets?

The weight of a person is different on other planets because the acceleration due to gravity varies from planet to planet. For example, a person who weighs 75.0kg on Earth would weigh only 28.5kg on Mars due to Mars' lower gravity.

3. What is the significance of using kilograms as a unit of measurement for weight?

Kilograms are a unit of measurement commonly used to measure mass, which is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Since weight is directly proportional to mass, using kilograms as a unit of measurement for weight is a more accurate representation of an object's mass compared to other units such as pounds or grams.

4. Is the weight of a person constant throughout their lifetime?

No, the weight of a person can vary throughout their lifetime due to factors such as changes in muscle mass, body fat, and overall health. However, on Earth, a person's weight would remain relatively constant due to the consistent acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does the weight of a person affect their daily activities?

The weight of a person can affect their daily activities in terms of physical exertion and energy expenditure. For example, a person who weighs more will require more effort to perform certain tasks compared to someone who weighs less. Additionally, a person's weight can also impact their overall health and mobility.