Max Lifting Potential on Earth vs. Moon

In summary, the gravitational acceleration on the moon is 1.62 m/s2 and if you can barely lift 195 lbf on earth, you would be able to lift the same weight on the moon due to the same force being present. However, you would be able to lift 6 times as much mass on the moon due to the lower gravity. This is because weight is a force and your strength and force remain the same on the moon as on earth.
freerider78

Homework Statement

The gravitational acceleration on the moon is 1.62 m/s2. If you can barely lift 195 lbf on earth, what would be the max you could lift on the moon (give answer in N).

Homework Equations

F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling this is a trick question and the answer is the max weight you can lift would be the same here or on the moon. You could lift 6X more mass, but not weight. I'm not sure how to explain this thought. Any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was about to fall for the trick and do the math.
freerider78 said:
...the max weight you can lift would be the same here or on the moon. You could lift 6X more mass, but not weight...

What's wrong with this?

your answer is good--but I mean, there really is no mathematical explanation. All you are saying is that if you can lift 195 on Earth you can lift the same on the moon because hopefully you don't undergo to much genetic mutation as you are struck with cosmic rays on the moon/on the way to the moon.

I know its a good answer, I just don't quite understand why I could lift the same weight here and on the moon. Sometimes its the easy stuff that trips me up.

Because weight is force, and you're just as strong and forcefull on the moon as you are here. You already figured it out that this same force will allow you to lift 6 times as much mass.

What is the difference in weight between Earth and the Moon?

The weight of an object is a measure of the gravitational force acting on it. On Earth, the force of gravity is about 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2). On the Moon, the force of gravity is only about 1.6 m/s^2. This means that an object will weigh approximately six times less on the Moon than it does on Earth. So, if you weigh 100 pounds on Earth, you would only weigh about 16.6 pounds on the Moon.

Why is there a difference in weight between Earth and the Moon?

The difference in weight between Earth and the Moon is due to their different sizes and masses. The Earth is much larger and more massive than the Moon, which means it has a stronger gravitational pull. The Moon has less mass and a weaker gravitational pull, so objects weigh less on its surface.

Can you feel the difference in weight between Earth and the Moon?

Yes, you can feel the difference in weight between Earth and the Moon. On Earth, we are used to the constant pull of gravity, so we don't really feel our weight. However, on the Moon, the reduced gravitational force can make you feel lighter and more buoyant.

Do objects have the same mass on Earth and the Moon?

Yes, objects have the same mass on Earth and the Moon. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, and it remains constant regardless of the gravitational force acting on it. So, an object that weighs 100 pounds on Earth would still have the same mass on the Moon, even though it would weigh less due to the weaker gravitational force.

How does the weight on Earth and the Moon affect human beings?

The difference in weight on Earth and the Moon can have both physical and psychological effects on human beings. On the Moon, the reduced weight can make it easier to move and perform tasks, but it can also cause muscle and bone loss due to the lack of gravity. The psychological effects can include a sense of disorientation and difficulty adjusting to the difference in weight.