What is the correct way to solve for weight on two pulleys?

In summary, the author of the question is having trouble following the author's approach to solving the problem. The author provided a summary of the content and then provided a suggestion for how the author could improve their approach.
Addez123
Homework Statement
A weight starts from rest, what is its velocity after falling 0.82m? Use energy considerations.
Relevant Equations
M = 4.5 kg
R = 8.5 cm
Ip = 3 * 10^-3 kg m2
rp = 5 cm
m = 0.6 kg
I've done this exercise twice now, the answer is 1.4m/s but I get 1.64m/s. It's too far off to be rounding error.

1570525287565.png

1570525321557.png

1. I don't use energy consideration, because I don't have a clue how that would work.
2. I still need to know what's wrong with my current way of solving this.

Any help is appriciated :)

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for 1. you make an energy balance: gravity does work (how much, you can calculate) that gets converted into kinetic energy: two things rotate and the mass takes the remainder. Much quicker than solving the equation of motion.

For 2. I need a day to decipher what the complete exercise problem statement may have been and to sleuth through your work. Getting it legibly on my screen is already daunting !
Tip: don't fill in numbers until you have worked it out completely in symbols.

Also, is the round spherical object a solid sphere or a shell? I am asking because the figure (it was originally black & white) brought back memories from more than 50 years ago when I worked on this problem out of the first edition of Halliday and Resnick. Back then the sphere was a shell and I think one was supposed to find its angular speed, but I am not sure about that.

Last edited:
Likes PhanthomJay and Delta2
kuruman said:
Also, is the round spherical object a solid sphere or a shell? I am asking because the figure (it was originally black & white) brought back memories from more than 50 years ago when I worked on this problem out of the first edition of Halliday and Resnick. Back then the sphere was a shell and I think one was supposed to find its angular speed, but I am not sure about that.
Taking it to be a shell doesn't seem to make enough difference. I get 1.6m/s for that.
To get 1.4m/s I have to make the sphere's radius of inertia almost R.

Doing the same calculations as you, I get 1.419m/s with the only difference that I take the moment of inertia of the sphere to be ##\frac{2}{3}MR^2## that is to be a hollow sphere.

Likes Addez123
Delta2 said:
Doing the same calculations as you, I get 1.419m/s with the only difference that I take the moment of inertia of the sphere to be ##\frac{2}{3}MR^2## that is to be a hollow sphere.
Then I must have made an arithmetic error. Or two.

haruspex said:
Taking it to be a shell doesn't seem to make enough difference. I get 1.6m/s for that.
To get 1.4m/s I have to make the sphere's radius of inertia almost R.
haruspex said:
Then I must have made an arithmetic error. Or two.
I followed the OP's approach and just replace the moment of inertia of the sphere with ##\frac{2}{3}MR^2## which leads to acceleration of about 1.22m/sec^2 and time of fall of about 1.15sec.

Did you do it with the energy approach?

Likes Addez123
Delta2 solved it!
It was a spherical 'shell', I completely missed that part.

Likes Delta2
Well to be honest , it was @kuruman idea that the sphere might be a spherical shell or hollow sphere, I just did the calculations to confirm it.

Likes kuruman
Addez123 said:
Delta2 solved it!
It was a spherical 'shell', I completely missed that part.
Another argument for posting the full literal problem statement: if you'd done that you probably wouldn't even have needed to post anaymore !

May I just make a comment to the author of the question (Addez123) about posting our attempts in a form that is more readable. A picture taken off your attempt in a notebook is difficult for many to read. Bear in mind, this is not light reading! One has to go through your working in detail to make sense of what you have done and where you have gone wrong. This forum has a considerably advanced technique of writing equations (see LatexHelp). It would mean more time needed to post a problem but it also helps the people who are going to help you with the problem in question.

There are also excellent drawing softwares (like Inkscape, https://inkscape.org/) that help us draw images as well as a textbook. Not only can we take pride in the posting being entirely ours, we can avoid potential troubles like copyright should the matter arise.

Likes BvU

1. How do you calculate the weight on two pulleys?

The weight on two pulleys can be calculated by using the formula W = m x g, where W is the weight, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. In the case of two pulleys, the weight will be divided equally between the two pulleys.

2. Are there any other factors that affect the weight on two pulleys?

Yes, apart from the mass of the object, the weight on two pulleys can also be affected by the angle of the pulleys, friction, and the type of material the pulleys are made of. These factors can impact the accuracy of the weight calculation.

3. How do you account for the angle of the pulleys when solving for weight?

To account for the angle of the pulleys, you can use the formula W = m x g x cosθ, where θ is the angle between the two pulleys. This will give a more accurate calculation of the weight on two pulleys.

4. Can the weight on two pulleys be negative?

No, the weight on two pulleys cannot be negative. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, and it is always a positive value. If you get a negative value when solving for weight, it means there is an error in your calculation.

5. How can you reduce friction when solving for weight on two pulleys?

To reduce friction, you can use pulleys with low-friction bearings, lubricate the pulleys, or use a counterweight system to cancel out the friction. It is important to minimize friction to get an accurate weight calculation.