1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight, work, and horsepower

1. Apr 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If weight x distance over time equals work done. Work done divided by time will give me work done over time foot pounds. Foot pounds can be converted to horsepower. So I should be able to find minimum horse power needed to push
    a known weight a known distance in a known time right? Am I missing something? It seems like my horsepower needed numbers are very high.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2
    set up the problem

horse-power
    ; is an unit of power equal to 550 foot-pounds per second (about 750 watts).

4. Apr 11, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, weight x distance = work done; dividing that by time gives power.
    No idea what that means. The work done over the time a runner's foot pounds the pavement?
    No, foot pounds is a measure of work, not power.

5. Apr 11, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Only if the distance is vertical. The correct equation is..

Work = force * displacement

No because the force required to move an object is not equal to the weight. For example the force might depend on friction, rolling resistance, air resistance etc some of those might be effected by weight but it might not be a simple relationship.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted