Weirdest/things that blew your mind when you learned them

• Thread starter s00mb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, when learning about mind-blowing things, what continues to blow your mind is how different everything is in reality, compared to how we experience it.
hutchphd said:
Watson and Crick did their DNA work about the time of my birth

Hey, me too.
Born into The Age of Biology!

Physics news on Phys.org
It still seemed unkempt to me ...hence my physics education!

Likes BillTre
hutchphd said:
It still seemed unkempt to me ...hence my physics education!

The challenge is to make order of it.

Likes hutchphd
Yes.. I never would have believed the the progress that has been made. And how fascinating it really is. Hope we can keep the slope positive for a while longer.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
The challenge is to make order of it.
But it's all squishy !

• Haha
Likes DennisN, berkeman, BillTre and 1 other person
phinds said:
But it's all squishy !

Except for the shells, bones, spines, and hard plant things like wood.
(Squishies is a term often used for soft invertebrates like worms and slugs, as opposed to crunchies, like insects and crustaceans with hard exoskeletons.)

Anyway stars have no hard surfaces, and nebulae are nebulous.

Likes Klystron
BillTre said:
Except for the shells, bones, spines, and hard plant things like wood.
I'll bet if you add up the weight of all the biomass on the planet, you'll find that easily 90%+ of it is squishy. Probably more like 99%.

Hm ... OK, maybe the forests will keep it down to only 90%+

Well the essence of life is mushy cytoplasm for sure.

hutchphd said:
Watson and Crick did their DNA work about the time of my birth.
First thing I thought of too.

It gives me great hope, reminding myself that we are still in our infancy of understanding the world. So much to discover still!

Likes berkeman
Likes BillTre and hutchphd
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 5.44.29 PM.png

My alter-ego.

• Haha
Likes gmax137, phinds and DennisN
BillTre said:
Not so recent (1979, >40 years ago) a surprise to me, but at the time it was figured out, a very large impact killed off the dinosaurs (except the birds).
There is a very funny comic which I laugh at every time I think of it. I won't post the image here because it contains some foul words, but here's a link to it in a spoiler below:

• Haha
Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
Anyway stars have no hard surfaces, and nebulae are nebulous.
Yeah, but have you ever had to dissect one of those? Every stepped on one and gone YUCK !

Likes BillTre
phinds said:
Every stepped on one and gone YUCK !
Yeah. I got slimy Betelgeuse all over my toes.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and DaveC426913
phinds said:
Yeah, but have you ever had to dissect one of those?

Sounds like a lot of people wold like to dissect Betelgeuse to figure out what going on in there and how it works.
Poor astronomy, prevented from understanding the star's innards by queasiness about getting yucky.

My mind was blown towards positive infinity discovering how very simple (non-linear) physical systems are capable of showing surprisingly complicated forms of self-organization.

My mind was blown towards minus infinity discovering the yet unresolved Fermi paradox, especially considering the selection of possible solutions that are not so nice.

Likes melissaa and Klystron
Wrichik Basu said:
Quantum Mechanics.

QM is pretty cool. But the "turn your head at an angle and squint" part about QM is Bell's inequality.

Likes Klystron and Ibix
Green's theorem is the weirdest most mind¤#%& theorem I have learned about (yet). It doesn't matter how one picks ##M## or ##L##, as long as they satisfy certain conditions the result holds. I don't even have the vocabulary to explain why it's so strange.

Likes melissaa
I don't know the formal name, if any, but the idea that nations (or other large organizations) are 'living' things composed of humans as we are composed of cells.

Likes BillTre
That's like ants in an ant colony (or bees or termites).
A larger emergent group composed of smaller more numerous units.

Some have said aliens might consider cities to be Earth's organisms with humans as their equivalent of our microbiome (bacteria/archaea living on or in larger creatures).

After living and working in south Asia for years, I was astonished to learn that hot peppers (Capsicum) are indigenous to Central America and spread to Asia with the Columbian Exchange.

Hot peppers seem so essential to local cuisines and grow in such great variety in Asian agricultural regions such as the central basin in Thailand; one assumes chile peppers to be indigenous to the region or to have arrived with traders thousands, not hundreds, of years past. Live and learn, and enjoy those peppers. :nb)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes BWV, gmax137 and BillTre
From Undergrad, most memorable would be:
- That magnetism can be understood as charges + length contraction
- The principle of "least" action
- Dirac quantisation (before knowing some representation theory, it does look like magic..)
- The gauge principle

Wes Tausend said:
Time.

Many things have blown my mind. The first was probably a wind-up alarm clock my father gave me when I was about 6 or 7 years old. It began a fascination with time. I knew that wind-up toys go fast at first, then slow. So how could a wind-up clock possibly keep good time? My father gave it to me because it ran slower and slower and finally quit.

My father replaced it with a synchronous electric clock, something I never figured out until my teens. I immediately took the wind-up clock apart, I mean ALL apart, and cleaned it and oiled it. After I put the gears and springs back together, it worked perfectly... for a while. Meanwhile, I'd learned how the latch made it keep time by regulating the mainspring. And after finally looking at the back case, I discovered a slot with an F and S. I realized it provided access to adjust clock rate via the hair-spring. My father hadn't noticed it before and put up with inaccurate time for years. I was pretty proud of that discovery.

The latch mechanism on the wind-up allowed me to figure out how a pendulum clock regulated time in the school mimeograph room. The smell of the ink comes back to me when I remember.

The reason my free wind-up alarm clock quit was I had way over- oiled it and the open mechanism got full of dust- bunnies. I so loved the beautiful brass machinery that I'd left it open on my window sill by the bed. I took it back apart, put the parts in a small box, then went out to play. Some of the parts got lost before I got back to it. But by then I could afford a one dollar pocket watch from Ben Franklin. I could hear it tick under my pillow.

My next watch was a small water-proof Timex I got for Christmas when I was 10. I left it on while swimming just so I could tell concerned people it was water-proof and it never failed me. I had it until I accidently left it on the roof of my first car. Several reliable Timex's followed, barring misplacement.

I still have a cheap Casio left over from work. It has two time zones that I worked in and keeps military-style time to within a few seconds a month. For 20 some years I replaced various Casio's as the straps and/or batteries died. One kept time to less than a second lost per month. These cheap watches worked better than better looking quality watches I received as performance awards from work. I worked the last 20+ year's for a railroad that required accurate time.

Wes
You may be interested in this story about Eli Whitney, from https://www.asme.org/topics-resources/content/eli-whitney

The young Whitney was a natural tinkerer. Supposedly he once stayed home on Sunday, while the rest of his family went to Church, so that he could take apart his father's watch. He had it together again and working by the time they returned. He also made a violin at the age of 12. Soon after, he had started his own business forging nails and had even employed help to do so.

The version I read said that Eli had such a curiosity about how things worked, including the watch, that his family warned him time and again not to touch the watch. The watch apparently came from England and if he ruined it, it would be many months before a replacement could be gotten.

Likes Klystron
  • Haha
Likes DennisN and collinsmark
Keith_McClary said:
I actually have experienced that, but only once, even though I have cuddled a lot with my different cats through the years. I noticed the effect in the dark when I was touching one of my cats. There were small sparks appearing between my fingers and the fur of the cat. It was a very weird and very cool experience. I can't say why I experienced it only at that particular time.

Likes Keith_McClary
DennisN said:
I can't say why I experienced it only at that particular time.
I expect you live in a relatively humid place.

Likes DennisN and Keith_McClary
Is there a way to pack more than 4 disks of diameter 1 into a 2-by-2 square?
2by2.jpg

Obviously not. But is there a way to pack more than 4000 disks of diameter 1 into a 2-by-2000 rectangle?
2by200.jpg

Again, obviously not — except that there is a way! (See my essay “Believe It, Then Don’t” for details.)
James Propp's blog

s00mb said:
Hi, I figured I'd make a thread about this. What really blew your mind when you learned it or what continues to blow your mind when you think about it? I like learning really obscure mind blowing things so I figured I'd ask others about this to get some new ideas. For me it was things like uncountable/different "sizes" of infinity in real analysis, time relativity (it still blows my mind knowing most people go their entire lives not knowing time is not absolute) and currently things like fractional calculus. I think finding out you can take any order derivatives "Abusing" gamma functions and using certain integrals was ingenious. What is yours?
For me it was when I read that Alfred North Whitehead took 600 pages to prove that 1 + 1 = 2, in his enlightenment-era maths text. The it blew again when Kurt Godel showed that nothing in maths can be proven, using his clever incompleteness theorem...

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
GJ Philp said:
For me it was when I read that Alfred North Whitehead took 600 pages to prove that 1 + 1 = 2, in his enlightenment-era maths text. The it blew again when Kurt Godel showed that nothing in maths can be proven, using his clever incompleteness theorem...
This is not even remotely what Gödel’s incompleteness theorem says. Why would you think that proving that nothing can be proven makes any sense whatsoever?

Likes weirdoguy, sysprog and gmax137
Klystron said:
After living and working in south Asia for years, I was astonished to learn that hot peppers (Capsicum) are indigenous to Central America and spread to Asia with the Columbian Exchange.

Hot peppers seem so essential to local cuisines and grow in such great variety in Asian agricultural regions such as the central basin in Thailand; one assumes chile peppers to be indigenous to the region or to have arrived with traders thousands, not hundreds, of years past. Live and learn, and enjoy those peppers. :nb)
Tomatoes and potatoes are also New World crops. In fact, tomatoes weren't a part of Italian cuisine at all until the late 1700s.

Likes sysprog and Klystron
TeethWhitener said:
This is not even remotely what Gödel’s incompleteness theorem says. Why would you think that proving that nothing can be proven makes any sense whatsoever?
Didn't Ludwig Wittgenstein (a guy whom Russell and Whitehead were ok with) explain numbers as definitional implying that 2+2=4 and show the proof and yeah he did it's in his Tractatus

DennisN said:
Same here.
Also, whenever I try to think of the stupendously large size of the Universe it blows my mind.
This! I'm learning new things every day!