Welcome to the Tiki Bar lounge
- Thread starter SOS2008
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Box
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
796 replies · 80K views
Physics news on Phys.org
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
Yeah, it is...
yourdadonapogostick
- 270
- 1
moonie, i got you a drink.
yourdadonapogostick
- 270
- 1
mr. bartender, you need to stop "spilling" our drinks before i have to get out the duct tape. you don't want me to get out the duct tape, do you?
yourdadonapogostick
- 270
- 1
after last night, all i want right now is coffee...strong coffee.
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
I'm curious, yet afraid.
yourdadonapogostick
- 270
- 1
i was drinking at both parties.
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
well, you never mentioned any parties, but ok.
yourdadonapogostick
- 270
- 1
didn't you go? well, it was more like 3am here.
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
...
...
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Geez, I can't believe this place has been quiet for more than a month.
I suppose we should have been doing inventory and maintenance all this time.
Well, it's time for a little project in hydraulics of carbonated alcoholic beverages.
Bottoms up!
Cheers!
I suppose we should have been doing inventory and maintenance all this time.
Well, it's time for a little project in hydraulics of carbonated alcoholic beverages.
Bottoms up!
Cheers!
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
I had to many bahama yomammas now where are zooby's directions to the bathroom? 
JamesU
Gold Member
- 828
- 3
oh and if you're wondering about the bahama yomammas, umm, SOS 'gave' me the key, I kinda snuck in while it was closed... :$ where is SOS anyway?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
It must have floated into some uncharted direction, and just reappeared on radar!
Okay, a toast to my new home! I found a townhouse today that I like and think the road isn't too steep to get to it (I saw one that was very nice, but I envisioned getting stuck on the road every time it snows, and the driveway was so steep with nothing but a cliff/drop-off behind it before the next row of townhouses started that I was having horrid images in my mind of me pulling out of the garage, hitting ice and landing in someone else's living room!)
The one I found was only completed a month ago, so never had any previous tenants to mess it up, has berber carpet throughout, a gas fireplace, three bedrooms, two and a half baths, the master bath has a whirlpool tub, big windows (I never turned on any of the lights while looking at it, and it was still wonderfully bright inside), real tile in the kitchen, and a kitchen design that will be very functional, a two-car garage, which means all the furniture that doesn't fit in the rooms can be stored in my garage, attic storage space, and a big deck with privacy fencing on either side and a big mountain behind me (until they build the next row of townhomes, but they won't even break ground on those until spring since they have others further away to finish over the winter). Oh, and a really cute guy next door (his little red sports car had dealer plates on it, so I'm guessing he's a car salesman...might have to count that against him, but since he's driving a little red sports car, I'm guessing he might be single
...even if he isn't, he's a nice touch of scenery
).
I sign the lease tomorrow (I beat out someone else because they only wanted a 5 month lease and I'm willing to sign for a full year). Yay!
*starts singing* "Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong...West Virginia, mountain mama..." I just keep reminding myself that if I still lived in NJ, mountain property would be highly coveted.
It'll be close to the farm, but not too close to campus, so don't have to put up with students living nearby (sorry to the students, but you know student housing is noisy, and eventually you grow out of that phase of your life). And the manager insists the walls are built really well so you can't hear anything from next door (I didn't hear any outside sounds while looking at the place, so that's a good sign); she said when they bought the units they're renting, they actually tested that because one of the first tenants was really concerned about not hearing noise, so they blasted stereos and shouted in one unit while she stood in the other and they couldn't hear anything. Even if she's exaggerating a little, as long as I can't hear every conversation of my neighbors, I'll be happy.
So, a toast to my new home!
Okay, a toast to my new home! I found a townhouse today that I like and think the road isn't too steep to get to it (I saw one that was very nice, but I envisioned getting stuck on the road every time it snows, and the driveway was so steep with nothing but a cliff/drop-off behind it before the next row of townhouses started that I was having horrid images in my mind of me pulling out of the garage, hitting ice and landing in someone else's living room!)
The one I found was only completed a month ago, so never had any previous tenants to mess it up, has berber carpet throughout, a gas fireplace, three bedrooms, two and a half baths, the master bath has a whirlpool tub, big windows (I never turned on any of the lights while looking at it, and it was still wonderfully bright inside), real tile in the kitchen, and a kitchen design that will be very functional, a two-car garage, which means all the furniture that doesn't fit in the rooms can be stored in my garage, attic storage space, and a big deck with privacy fencing on either side and a big mountain behind me (until they build the next row of townhomes, but they won't even break ground on those until spring since they have others further away to finish over the winter). Oh, and a really cute guy next door (his little red sports car had dealer plates on it, so I'm guessing he's a car salesman...might have to count that against him, but since he's driving a little red sports car, I'm guessing he might be single
I sign the lease tomorrow (I beat out someone else because they only wanted a 5 month lease and I'm willing to sign for a full year). Yay!
*starts singing* "Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong...West Virginia, mountain mama..." I just keep reminding myself that if I still lived in NJ, mountain property would be highly coveted.
It'll be close to the farm, but not too close to campus, so don't have to put up with students living nearby (sorry to the students, but you know student housing is noisy, and eventually you grow out of that phase of your life). And the manager insists the walls are built really well so you can't hear anything from next door (I didn't hear any outside sounds while looking at the place, so that's a good sign); she said when they bought the units they're renting, they actually tested that because one of the first tenants was really concerned about not hearing noise, so they blasted stereos and shouted in one unit while she stood in the other and they couldn't hear anything. Even if she's exaggerating a little, as long as I can't hear every conversation of my neighbors, I'll be happy.
So, a toast to my new home!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Cheers, Moonbear!Moonbear said:*starts singing* "Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong...West Virginia, mountain mama..." I just keep reminding myself that if I still lived in NJ, mountain property would be highly coveted.
So, a toast to my new home!
Smart move on avoiding steep driveways - not only snow, but ice-storms.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Astronuc said:Cheers, Moonbear!![]()
Smart move on avoiding steep driveways - not only snow, but ice-storms.
I'm afraid I'm still going to have to get a new car no matter what. My poor little Focus is just too underpowered to make it up mountain roads with the a/c running!
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
Congrats on the new place Moonie! I didn't realize you were into guys with tiny red sports cars. Was it a *****in' Camaro? 
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Well besides Subaru ( http://www.subaru.com/shop/all_models.jsp ), and the more pricey BMWs or Audis, there is Honda -
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_descriptions.asp?ModelName=CR%2DV&Category=4WD+EX but that's like a mini-SUV, but still 22 mph city/29 mph highway.
There may be other 4WD sedans or wagons, but it is difficult to find a simple comparison.
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_descriptions.asp?ModelName=CR%2DV&Category=4WD+EX but that's like a mini-SUV, but still 22 mph city/29 mph highway.
There may be other 4WD sedans or wagons, but it is difficult to find a simple comparison.
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
It was a Mitsubishi of some sort. It was cute, the kind of car I'd drive.TheStatutoryApe said:Congrats on the new place Moonie! I didn't realize you were into guys with tiny red sports cars. Was it a *****in' Camaro?![]()
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Astronuc said:Well besides Subaru ( http://www.subaru.com/shop/all_models.jsp ), and the more pricey BMWs or Audis, there is Honda -
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_descriptions.asp?ModelName=CR%2DV&Category=4WD+EX but that's like a mini-SUV, but still 22 mph city/29 mph highway.
There may be other 4WD sedans or wagons, but it is difficult to find a simple comparison.
The CR-V is definitely not my style. I don't think BMWs and Audis fit my budget, especially for driving around an area where I know I'm going to beat the crap out of the car with rough road conditions. Back to Subaru I guess. A good front-wheel drive car with a slightly bigger engine might do the trick too, just something with enough power to it to maintain speed uphill.
Last edited by a moderator:
zanazzi78
- 115
- 1
Moonbear said:It was a Mitsubishi of some sort. It was cute, the kind of car I'd drive.It had dealer plates, so that's why I'm assuming he's a car salesman, unless he had it on one of those all day test drives they let you do in a lot of places. But he was all polished in his crisp white shirt and tie when I saw him get out of it, so he fit the part. I'm not really into guys with sports cars, just he was cute even without the sports car and waved as I drove past.
Mitsubishi do a 4x4, the Lancer EVO VIII but it`s not that cheap! It does however have World Rally Champ pedigree so it`s going to get you up your snowy mountian quicker than you can sneeze!
And being a Jap made car second hand ones are going to be reliable and cheaper look for EVO VI or VII`s
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 4,411
- 552
Moon bear, what you need is a Trabant. http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/100-greatest/toyota-prius-willys-jeep_page_2.html
zanazzi78
- 115
- 1
wolram said:Moon bear, what you need is a Trabant. http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/100-greatest/toyota-prius-willys-jeep_page_2.html
I think that car will struggle on the flat in a head wind, never mind a snowy mountain pass
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 4,411
- 552
zanazzi78 said:I think that car will struggle on the flat in a head wind, never mind a snowy mountain pass![]()
In the old east germany people put away their good cars in the winter and
use their trabants, great cars in the snow, and i think you only need two
or three spanners to strip them down, but drivers of these cars are all ways
accelerating or stopping, no in between.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Honda does make a 4WD Accord sedan, but I don't know if it is available in the US. You might check with a local Honda dealer. The price is probably competitive with Subaru.Moonbear said:The CR-V is definitely not my style. I don't think BMWs and Audis fit my budget, especially for driving around an area where I know I'm going to beat the crap out of the car with rough road conditions. Back to Subaru I guess. A good front-wheel drive car with a slightly bigger engine might do the trick too, just something with enough power to it to maintain speed uphill.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
wolram said:Moon bear, what you need is a Trabant. http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/100-greatest/toyota-prius-willys-jeep_page_2.html
I've never heard of a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII, but I know very little of what Mitsubishi makes. I'm not even sure where there's a dealer for them (though I suppose I can ask my new neighbor once I move in
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Here you go, the perfect car for driving in the snow.