What aluminum alloy is moslty used in baking wares?

In summary, the most commonly used aluminum alloy in baking wares is likely the pure 99+% aluminum 1100 alloy due to its high thermal conductivity and ease of deep drawing. However, alloying it with small amounts of Cu, Mn, and Si in the 2000 and 3000-3100 series is also common for foil production. This was discovered after the struggles with pure aluminum utensils bending easily.
rickz02
Someone knows what is the most commonly used aluminum alloy in baking wares? Thanks for help... :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I will guess that it is close to pure 99+% aluminum 1100 alloy; see table of alloys in table at bottom of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy
and
http://www.steelforge.com/forgings/alloys/aluminum1100report.html
because it has the best thermal conductivity and is probably the easiest to deep draw.
Bob S

Last edited:
I asked this question of an old friend of mine, Dr. Harry Cleghorn, who used to work for Alcoa, and he replied:
Regarding aluminum foil, 100 percent aluminum is extremely difficult to handle - it is very malleable, coats the iron rolls during hot and cold rolling and at foil gauges, it tears easily, generating a lot of scrap in the process.

By alloying with small amounts of Cu, Mn, Si, one produces the 2000 and 3000 - 3100 alloy series, which is the base stock for foil production. If my memory serves me correctly, the 2000 series is less often used for this purpose, but has the higher levels of Cu.

The alloying amounts are small, corresponding to about one-tenth of a percentage point in order of magnitude.

There are some historical footnotes regarding the first use of pure aluminum by the French aristocracy (the only people who could afford to use them) when spoons and forks would bend and be virtually useless when eating food! Scientists at the time found that the addition of copper and manganese helped to increase the tensile strength.

Thanks.

1. What is the most common aluminum alloy used in baking wares?

The most frequently used aluminum alloy in baking wares is aluminum 3003. This alloy has excellent thermal conductivity and is highly resistant to corrosion, making it ideal for use in baking.

2. Why is aluminum 3003 the preferred choice for baking wares?

Aluminum 3003 is preferred for baking wares because it is lightweight, durable, and has good heat distribution. This allows for even baking and prevents hot spots that can lead to unevenly baked goods.

3. Is aluminum 3003 safe for baking and cooking?

Yes, aluminum 3003 is considered safe for baking and cooking. It is a food-grade alloy and does not react with acidic or alkaline foods, making it a popular choice for kitchenware.

4. How does aluminum 3003 compare to other aluminum alloys in terms of heat resistance?

Aluminum 3003 has a higher heat resistance compared to other aluminum alloys commonly used in baking wares. It can withstand temperatures up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, making it suitable for most baking recipes.

5. Can aluminum 3003 be used in other kitchenware besides baking wares?

Yes, aluminum 3003 is used in various kitchenware besides baking wares. It is commonly used in pots, pans, and other cookware due to its durability, heat resistance, and non-reactive properties with food.