Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What am I suppose to visualize here?

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is the beginning of a question and I have NO clue what the hell they are talking about.

A trough is 10ft long and its ends have the shape of isoceles triangles that are 3ft across at the top and have a height of 1ft.

This is just the beginning of the question. I looked up what trough is and I found it to be some sort of pipe.

I can't solve the problem without this.

I'm thinking of a pipe that is 10 feet long and 1 feet high. That is the volume of a cylinder. Plus, 2 cones on the tips of some kind. I really don't know.

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A trough is, erm, something that farm animals eat out of, amongst other things. Just imagine you've got a container that is prism of constant cross section (the triangle) and of length 10ft. That is the trough.

Feet? Oh well. Never mind.

4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    take a long section of pipe with a triangular cross section. remove one of the sides and you'll have your trough.

5. Nov 4, 2004 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Like this...

\................../
    ..\_________/

...is that it?

3 feet across the top, from what?

6. Nov 4, 2004 #5

Ba

Yes that would be a trough, I would say the distance between the top corner of the trough to the other top corner is 3 feet.

7. Nov 4, 2004 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In other words, the trough is 1 feet tall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?