1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What am I suppose to visualize here?

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is the beginning of a question and I have NO clue what the hell they are talking about.

A trough is 10ft long and its ends have the shape of isoceles triangles that are 3ft across at the top and have a height of 1ft.

This is just the beginning of the question. I looked up what trough is and I found it to be some sort of pipe.

I can't solve the problem without this.

I'm thinking of a pipe that is 10 feet long and 1 feet high. That is the volume of a cylinder. Plus, 2 cones on the tips of some kind. I really don't know.

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A trough is, erm, something that farm animals eat out of, amongst other things. Just imagine you've got a container that is prism of constant cross section (the triangle) and of length 10ft. That is the trough.

Feet? Oh well. Never mind.

4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    take a long section of pipe with a triangular cross section. remove one of the sides and you'll have your trough.

5. Nov 4, 2004 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Like this...

\................../
    ..\_________/

...is that it?

3 feet across the top, from what?

6. Nov 4, 2004 #5

Ba

Yes that would be a trough, I would say the distance between the top corner of the trough to the other top corner is 3 feet.

7. Nov 4, 2004 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In other words, the trough is 1 feet tall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?