What Are Ring Exchanges in Quantum Systems?

• Thread starter iibewegung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, the conversation is about a graduate student seeking clarification on the concept of "ring exchanges" in a review article by D.M. Ceperley. The article discusses Feynman's mapping of a quantum system onto a classical model of interacting "polymers," which are ring exchanges of bosons in imaginary time. The student is looking for a brief explanation or reference on this topic. Ceperley's papers on (super)solid He also mention ring exchanges, and the idea is that in a lattice-based model, the partition function of an N-particle system can be written as a sum over permutations of particle positions, each represented as a sum of ring exchanges where particles are moved to nearest-neighbor sites.
iibewegung
Hello condensed matter gurus out there,

I'm a new graduate student who's been trying to understand some sentences in a review article that reads:
-----
... One of Feynman's early successes with path integrals is often neglected, his mapping with path integrals of a quantum system onto a classical model of interacting "polymers." The polymers are ring exchanges of bosons in imaginary time. ...
-----
Now I have no clue what "ring exchanges" are... can anyone briefly explain it to me or point me to a reference? Google wasn't too helpful when I fed it ring, exchange, interaction, etc.
Thanks in advance.

PS. by the way, this article is Rev.Mod.Phys., v67 p279 by D.M. Ceperley

Physics news on Phys.org
Ceperley has written some papers on (super)solid He, where he talks about ring exchanges. I think the idea, (from a talk he gave here some years ago, so my recollection is foggy) at least in that context, is that if you have a model based on a lattice, then the partition function of an N-particle system (living in this lattice) can be written as a sum over various arrangements of particle positions. These positions can be permuted about in N! ways, and I think, each permutation can be represented as a sum of "ring exchanges" - where you move one particle to a nearest-neighbor site, that one to one of its nearest neighbors, and so on, till the n'th particle is moved into the site vacated by the first particle.

Last edited:

Ring exchanges refer to a type of interaction between particles in a quantum system, specifically bosons, that can be described using path integrals. In this context, "ring" refers to a closed loop or circle that the particles follow in imaginary time. The exchange part refers to the swapping of positions between particles along this loop, which is a key component in understanding the behavior of the system. This concept was first introduced by physicist Richard Feynman and has been used to map quantum systems onto classical models. For a more in-depth understanding, you can refer to the review article by D.M. Ceperley mentioned in the question.

What are ring exchanges?

Ring exchanges refer to the practice of exchanging rings between two individuals as a symbol of commitment and love. It is most commonly associated with engagement and marriage ceremonies.

Why do people exchange rings?

The exchange of rings is a symbolic gesture that has been practiced for centuries. It is believed to represent the eternal love and commitment between two individuals and serves as a physical reminder of their vows.

What is the significance of the ring exchange?

The ring exchange is a significant part of many cultures and religions. It is seen as a public declaration of the couple's love and commitment to each other and is often accompanied by meaningful words or vows.

Who exchanges rings during a wedding ceremony?

In most traditional wedding ceremonies, both the bride and groom exchange rings. However, the practice can vary depending on cultural and religious traditions. Some couples may choose to only have one partner wear a ring, or they may exchange rings with family members as well.

Are ring exchanges only for weddings?

No, ring exchanges can also take place during other types of ceremonies or celebrations, such as engagements, anniversaries, or vow renewals. It is ultimately up to the couple to decide if and when they want to exchange rings.