What are some of your favorite classical pieces?

• Thread starter Pupil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classical
In summary: Anything by Portsmouth Sinphonia.And anything by the Philharmonic Pick-up String Band of Northern South Jersey.
Pupil

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anything by Portsmouth Sinphonia.

A little cliche but Symphony No. 9 - Beethoven

And Cello suite No. 1 - Bach as played by Yo-yo Ma

Last edited by a moderator:
Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 8 in C minor (Op. 110) must be listened live and with historical perspective to fully appreciate.

Kronos5253 said:

Excellent taste! (You are named after the Kronos quarted, I imagine?)

Kronos5253 said:

Good stuff. I think the Cello suite No. 1 by Yo-yo Ma is in a new movie with Robert Downey Jr. about a cellist, I believe.

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade

Here is the first movement, The Sea and Sinbad's Ship. This one made me fall in love with his music and won my interest in classical in general. This man was way ahead of his time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_pkRH2DZuw

wikipedia said:
Scheherazade (Sheherazade; Шехерезада in Cyrillic, Šekherezada in transliteration), Op. 35, is a symphonic suite composed by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov in 1888. Based on The Book of One Thousand and One Nights,[1] this orchestral work combines two features common to Russian music and of Rimsky-Korsakov, in particular: dazzling, colorful orchestration and an interest in the East, which figured greatly in the history of Imperial Russia, as well as orientalism in general. It is considered Rimsky-Korsakov's most popular work.[2] The music was used in a ballet by Michel Fokine. This use of the music was denounced by the Rimsky-Korsakov estate, led by the composer's widow, Nadezhda Rimskaya-Korsakova.[3]

OAQfirst said:
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade

Here is the first movement, The Sea and Sinbad's Ship. This one made me fall in love with his music and won my interest in classical in general. This man was way ahead of his time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_pkRH2DZuw

I rather enjoyed that. I'll have to listen to some more of his stuff.

1. What are the most popular classical pieces of all time?

The most popular classical pieces of all time vary depending on personal taste and cultural background. However, some of the most frequently cited favorites include Beethoven's Symphony No. 9, Mozart's Requiem, Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, and Bach's Brandenburg Concertos.

2. Can you recommend some lesser-known classical pieces that are worth listening to?

Absolutely! Some lesser-known classical pieces that are worth exploring include Debussy's Clair de Lune, Barber's Adagio for Strings, Handel's Water Music, Pachelbel's Canon in D, and Chopin's Nocturne in E-flat Major.

3. What makes a classical piece considered a "favorite"?

This can vary from person to person, but generally a classical piece is considered a "favorite" if it has a lasting impact on the listener, whether it be through its emotional depth, technical mastery, or cultural significance. It is often a personal and subjective response.

4. Is it important to know the historical and cultural context of a classical piece in order to fully appreciate it?

Not necessarily. While understanding the context in which a piece was composed can enhance one's appreciation and understanding, it is not necessary to enjoy a classical piece. The beauty of music is that it can transcend time and cultural barriers, and can be appreciated in different ways by different people.

5. Can classical music have a positive impact on mental and emotional well-being?

Yes, there have been numerous studies that show the positive effects of classical music on mental and emotional well-being. It has been linked to reducing stress and anxiety, improving cognitive function, and enhancing mood. Many people find classical music to be calming, uplifting, and a source of inspiration.