1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What are the allowed transitions in the pure rotational spectra of CO2 molecule?

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    I know that the selection rule is :
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]J = +/- 1

but our prof said that according to some quantum mechanical calculations the odd values of J are not allowed. So, the allowed transitions are :
    J 0 <-> 1 ; 2 <-> 3 ; 4 <-> 5..... as the odd(1,3,5..) states will not be populated(hence contradicting his own statement).... and no transitions as J 1 -> 2 ; 3 -> 4 ....

I raised the question in the class but he seemed a bit more confused after my question.

Can anyone confirm the authentication of his statements. And Please tell me what is right and what is wrong. Thanx.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2
  4. Sep 24, 2010 #3
    ...I checked everything on the internet (starting with wiki), and then asked the question here...by the way i got the answer...thanks for showing concern...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook