What Are the Best Books for Learning Basic Physics with No Prior Knowledge?

In summary: Nick recommends that an arts student like yourself should study Algebra and Trigonometry in order to be successful in learning Physics. If you don't wish to learn/review math, then he suggests checking out the Khan Academy. If you do wish to learn/review math, he recommends the FHSST Physics website.
nickt
Hi, I'm an arts student out of Canada looking into information about books suitable for teaching myself basic physics. I have absolutely no recollection of high school mathematics or physics so I'm looking for something to build a strong foundation on. I'm thinking of picking up Physics for Dummies or something similar, but I'd like to see if anyone here has any opinions on the subject.

Thanks,
Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, first you will have review or relearn some mathmatics: physics and math go hand in hand. Can't have one without the other.

Which Physics are you willing to study?
Based on your post you said wanted to learn "High School" physics. Automatically from this, you will want to learn/review Algebra and Trigonometry. If you want to be successful in your study of basic physics it necessary to learn this math.

Math
First will have to have learn/review your Algebra. (Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 from High School, or namely, Elementary and Intermediate Algebra). Here are some free online algebra textbooks:
Algebra (I) = http://www.babylon.k12.ny.us/PDF/integrated_algebra/Integrated_Algebra_1.pdf
Algebra (II) with Trig = http://www.babylon.k12.ny.us/PDF/algebra%202/Algebra%202%20and%20Trigonometry.pdf

Physics
Some online tutorials: http://www.hippocampus.org/ (Contains Algebra and Physics)
If you don't wish to learn/review math: then you may go for a Conceptual Physics book
If you do wish to learn/review math: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FHSST_Physics
There's a lot of free info on the internet so do a quick Google search and see what comes up. Hint: if you want to locate free online pdf files then type something like this in the Google search bar:
+physics filetype:pdf (or)
algebra based physics filetype:pdf

*Note: check it out and see where you're at and how much time/effort you're willing to put in. Physics isn't something trivial to learn it will require much reading and pondering.

I hope I could help! Good Luck! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.khanacademy.org/

For me, the best possible ressource for an intro to high school physics and maths. Not a book though, rather a collection of tutorial videos and assorted exercises, but to me this makes it much more interesting.

Thanks to the both of you. I've been watching Khan Academy videos for the last few hours and they're very easy to understand. The PDF's look very helpful as well.

Nick

Hello Nick,

It's great to see that you're interested in learning high school physics! I highly recommend starting with a basic textbook like "Physics for Dummies" to build a strong foundation. This book covers all the basic concepts in a clear and understandable way, making it perfect for self-study.

In addition to textbooks, I also recommend using online resources such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare to supplement your learning. These platforms offer a wide range of free resources, including videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations, that can help you better understand and apply the concepts you're learning.

It's also important to keep in mind that physics is a subject that requires practice and application. So, make sure to regularly work through problems and examples to solidify your understanding.

Best of luck in your learning journey!

Sincerely,

Related to What Are the Best Books for Learning Basic Physics with No Prior Knowledge?

1. What is the best way to study for high school physics?

The best way to study for high school physics is to practice solving problems and understanding the underlying concepts. This can be done by completing practice problems, reviewing notes and class materials, and working with classmates or a tutor for additional support.

2. How much math do I need to know for high school physics?

High school physics involves a significant amount of math, including algebra, geometry, and basic trigonometry. It is important to have a strong understanding of these math concepts in order to succeed in physics.

3. What are the most important topics to focus on in high school physics?

Some of the most important topics to focus on in high school physics include motion and forces, energy, electricity and magnetism, and waves. These concepts are the foundation for understanding more complex topics in physics.

4. How can I improve my understanding of difficult physics concepts?

One way to improve understanding of difficult physics concepts is to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. It is also helpful to use visual aids, such as diagrams or videos, to better understand the concepts. Regular practice and reviewing past material can also improve understanding.

5. What careers can I pursue with a background in high school physics?

A background in high school physics can lead to a variety of careers, including engineering, medicine, research, and teaching. It can also provide a strong foundation for further studies in physics or other related fields.