What are the differences between Volovik & Wen theories?

• Thread starter ensabah6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theories
In summary, Both Wen and Volovik use condensed matter models to try and explain fundamental physics, with Wen focusing on emergent fermions and Volovik on fundamental fermions. While neither approach currently shows promise, both are inspiring and worth studying. Wen and Volovik also have different perspectives on the role of bosons in the emergence of particles, with Wen seeing them as fundamental and Volovik viewing fermions as fundamental. Both also suggest the possibility of emergent gauge symmetries and Standard Model particles, but this has not yet been confirmed through spin networks or super-fluid states.
ensabah6
Both purport to make use of condense matter- models to model fundamental physics.

What are the differences and which seems more promising?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe Wen would like emergent fermions, while Volovik wouldn't mind fundamental fermions. Neither is promising, though both are inspiring and worth studying. I think AdS/CFT is a working example for emergent gravity in some universes (not ours) that is very much in the spirit of condensed matter. So we have examples of emergent gravity (AdS/CFT) and emergent QED and QCD (Levin and Wen), but no examples of emergent chiral fermions (yet?).

Last edited:
atyy said:
I believe Wen would like emergent fermions, while Volovik wouldn't mind fundamental fermions. Neither is promising, though both are inspiring and worth studying. I think AdS/CFT is a working example for emergent gravity in some universes (not ours) that is very much in the spirit of condensed matter. So we have examples of emergent gravity (AdS/CFT) and emergent QED and QCD (Levin and Wen), but no examples of emergent chiral fermions (yet?).

I've wondered about the relevance of AdS/CFT to our universe, esp as a fundamental theory

Would it be possible to combine Wen's emergent QED QCD on a spin network lattice, with Bilson-Thompson braided to get emergent chiral fermions?

ensabah6 said:
I've wondered about the relevance of AdS/CFT to our universe, esp as a fundamental theory

Would it be possible to combine Wen's emergent QED QCD on a spin network lattice, with Bilson-Thompson braided to get emergent chiral fermions?

He, he - I don't know - I'd publish it if I knew :smile:

atyy said:
He, he - I don't know - I'd publish it if I knew :smile:

Do spin foam spin networks have the properties with which Wen's QED QCD can emerge?

And are "twists" in spin networks correspond to chiral fermions?

ensabah6 said:

It seems that this combination describes what Schiller is doing on http://www.motionmountain.net/research/ In his "strand" model/conjecture, he deduces emergent chiral fermions made of braided tangles. He uses the same trick as Bilson-Thompson to show that there are only three particle generations. But Schiller predicts no Higgs - hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
heinz said:
It seems that this combination describes what Schiller is doing on http://www.motionmountain.net/research/ In his "strand" model/conjecture, he deduces emergent chiral fermions made of braided tangles. He uses the same trick as Bilson-Thompson to show that there are only three particle generations. But Schiller predicts no Higgs - hmm...

Wen offers emergent Higgs using a local bosonic theory.

Are neutrinos the only chiral fermions Wen is unable to account for?

That is your personal view i think Atvy, although you also know that the condensed matter physics field, is the most tested and confirmed perhaps field in physics. For me it makes sense because it ultimately also inhabits quantum mechanics as emergent. And thereby leaves out anything fundamental.

John86 said:
That is your personal view i think Atvy, although you also know that the condensed matter physics field, is the most tested and confirmed perhaps field in physics. For me it makes sense because it ultimately also inhabits quantum mechanics as emergent. And thereby leaves out anything fundamental.

I guess you are disagreeing with the part where I said it's not promising? Well, these are my favourite approaches, so I say they are not promising :smile:

ensabah6 said:
Wen offers emergent Higgs using a local bosonic theory.

Are neutrinos the only chiral fermions Wen is unable to account for?

Yes that's interesting Wen says fundamental particles arise from the collective behaviour of bossons. This is wat Wen exactly says.

This paper uses a particular emergence approach: we
try to obtain everything from a local bosonic model. The
detail form of the bosonic model is not important. The
important issue is how the bosons (or the spins) are organized
in the ground state. It is shown that if bosons
organize into a string-net condensed state, then photons,
electrons and quarks can emerge naturally as collective
motions of the bosons.12–15 In this paper, we will find an
organization of bosons such that the collective motions
of bosons lead to gravitons.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0606/0606100v1.pdf

My idea is that Volovik goes a step further then Wen, But Wen digs deeper. Although if you read Volovik's Book "the universe in helium droplet" you get a really good idea what Volovik envisions. The book goes much deeper than his papers usualy

John86 said:
Yes that's interesting Wen says fundamental particles arise from the collective behaviour of bossons. This is wat Wen exactly says.

This paper uses a particular emergence approach: we
try to obtain everything from a local bosonic model. The
detail form of the bosonic model is not important. The
important issue is how the bosons (or the spins) are organized
in the ground state. It is shown that if bosons
organize into a string-net condensed state, then photons,
electrons and quarks can emerge naturally as collective
motions of the bosons.12–15 In this paper, we will find an
organization of bosons such that the collective motions
of bosons lead to gravitons.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0606/0606100v1.pdf

My idea is that Volovik goes a step further then Wen, But Wen digs deeper. Although if you read Volovik's Book "the universe in helium droplet" you get a really good idea what Volovik envisions. The book goes much deeper than his papers usualy

I infer then that for Wen bosons are fundamental, Volovik thinks fermions are fundamental. Either through string nets or emergent physics, can give rise to gauge symmetries and SM particles

Do you know if spin networks can give rise to bosons organize into a string-net condensed state or fermions analogous to super-fluid He3?

ensabah6 said:
Both purport to make use of condense matter- models to model fundamental physics.

What are the differences and which seems more promising?

Volovik is presenting a high-level analogy (nasty people would call him a crackpot) whereas Wen has some original, good and promising ideas.

heinz said:
Volovik is presenting a high-level analogy (nasty people would call him a crackpot) whereas Wen has some original, good and promising ideas.

So where does Group Field Theory fit in?

Oriti offers to model spin-networks on a fat graph that gives rise to a He3 like superfluid.

i.e arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0607032

http://arxiv.org/abs/0710.3276

We put forward a more specific, albeit still very much tentative, proposal for the relevant phase of the GFT corresponding to the continuum: a Bose-Einstein condensate of GFT quanta. Finally, we sketch how the proposal may be realized and its effective dynamics could be extracted in the GFT setting and compared with continuum gravity theories.

Crackpot?

ensabah6 said:
So where does Group Field Theory fit in?

Oriti offers to model spin-networks on a fat graph that gives rise to a He3 like superfluid.
i.e arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0607032

Crackpot?

I said that Volovik's work was questionable - I have not read Oriti well enough to say something sensible about it.

heinz said:
I said that Volovik's work was questionable - I have not read Oriti well enough to say something sensible about it.

There's quite a bit of discussion about Group Field theory in LQG. But I admit I don't understand it nor know how promising it is.

BUT if it does model spacetime as a superfluid perhaps then either or both Volvovik, Wen, or Bilson Thompson emergent schemes might be the way forward

Wen has an interesting diagram on the last slide of http://dao.mit.edu/~wen/talks/09Dresden.pdf

I like the links "AdS/CFT-Emergent gravity-long range entanglement-tensor category".

I'm trying to figure out where GFT fits in too. I think these papers indicate that something very interesting will come out of it (Thanks marcus for your biblio!).
Freidel, Gurau, Oriti http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.3772
Magnen, Noui, Rivasseau, Smerlak http://arxiv.org/abs/0906.5477
Tanasa, http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.5631

But I have nothing more than gut feeling at this point. My only indicator is sociological. Tanasa cites Markopoulou's work http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0203036 and Markopoulou has been trying to link up quantum graphity http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.0861 with Levin and Wen's work, and I'm believe this is all one coherent "sniff" on her part :smile:

Related to What are the differences between Volovik & Wen theories?

1. What is the main difference between Volovik and Wen theories?

The main difference between Volovik and Wen theories is their approach to understanding the nature of quantum materials. Volovik's theory, known as the "gravity analogy," uses concepts from cosmology to explain the behavior of quantum systems. Wen's theory, on the other hand, focuses on topological states and their emergence in quantum materials.

2. How do Volovik and Wen theories differ in their predictions?

Due to their different approaches, Volovik and Wen theories make different predictions about the behavior of quantum materials. For example, Volovik's theory predicts the existence of exotic particles called analogs of black holes, while Wen's theory predicts the presence of exotic states at the boundaries of topological materials.

3. Which theory is more widely accepted in the scientific community?

Currently, Wen's theory is more widely accepted in the scientific community. This is due to its success in explaining experimental observations and its ability to make accurate predictions. However, both theories are still actively studied and debated among scientists.

4. Are there any similarities between Volovik and Wen theories?

Despite their differences, there are some similarities between Volovik and Wen theories. Both theories aim to understand the behavior of quantum materials and make predictions about their properties. Additionally, they both incorporate concepts from different fields of physics, such as gravity and topology.

5. How do Volovik and Wen theories contribute to our understanding of quantum materials?

Volovik and Wen theories have both significantly contributed to our understanding of quantum materials. They have provided new insights and explanations for the behavior of these materials and have led to the discovery of new phenomena. Additionally, these theories have inspired further research and opened up new avenues for exploring the properties of quantum materials.