What are the dimensions/units of Evaporation?

• Thread starter AppeltjeBosheuvel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evaporation
In summary, the dimensions of evaporation can vary depending on the physical quantity being measured. L/T, or length/time, is a common dimension used to measure the rate of evaporation, but there are many other possible interpretations depending on the intended question. It is important to clarify what specific aspect of evaporation is being measured in order to determine the appropriate dimension.
AppeltjeBosheuvel
I am just starting with hydrology, does anybody know what the dimension is of evaporation? I see L/T in some of the slides, but I can't figure out what it stands for. L/Time, I assume.

But what is the L? And in what dimension?
Thanks heaps!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would imagine L/T is length/time. For example, the evaporation rate from a lake surface could be measured in mm/day.

Liters/sec

Likes SammyS
IanPTheAncient said:
Liters/sec
If that is a metric for evaporation, then the dimensional notation would be L3/T.

Sometimes one encounters "evaporative flux", which has dimensions of mass per unit time per unit area.

In evaporation, L can also refer to the latent heat of evaporation, and if you divide by the heat input you get the evaporation rate. But heat input is usually Q, and not L.
Just ask the professor, that's what they're for. In the Netherlands they are quite approachable.

I do not see why we are debating this when it is clearly guesswork. There can be no reasonable answer unless the OP provides us with an appropriate link to the reference he is looking at. There are just too many possible interpretations of the OP.

Likes russ_watters
Orodruin said:
I do not see why we are debating this when it is clearly guesswork. There can be no reasonable answer unless the OP provides us with an appropriate link to the reference he is looking at. There are just too many possible interpretations of the OP.

There is indeed no need for debating because @Doc Al is right.

Lord Jestocost said:
There is indeed no need for debating because @Doc Al is right.
There can be no right answer to the OP. Yes, L/T would be length/time, bit the OP has not specified what "evaporation" means - it is a physical process, not a physical quantity. There are many physical quantities related to evaporation (as demonstrated by your own post) that have different physical dimensions and it is impossible to know which is intended unless the OP specifies. It is like asking "what is the physical dimension of gravity?" It is impossible to know whether the answer should be in terms of the dimension of the gravitational constant (L^3/T^2 M), the gravitational force (ML/T^2), the gravitational acceleration (L/T^2), the gravitational source term (M), or something else.

Of course DocAl is right in that it could be measured in L/T, but again it depends on the intended question, which is not clear.

Orodruin said:
There can be no right answer to the OP.

The OP mentions hydrology and evaporation. From this you can conclude (with dimensions [L] for length and [T] for time): The volume of water (dimension [L3] ) per unit area (dimension [L2] ) per unit time (dimension [T] ): [L/T]

Lord Jestocost said:
The OP mentions hydrology and evaporation. From this you can conclude (with dimensions [L] for length and [T] for time): The volume of water (dimension [L3] ) per unit area (dimension [L2] ) per unit time (dimension [T] ): [L/T]
No, you really cannot. I agree that this is one possible interpretation, but there are many other possible interpretations - as this thread has clearly demonstrated. What you are quoting is the flux. The OP could be interested in other physical quantities such as flow rate or mass flux. You simply do not know this without further specification on the part of the OP.

Thank you!

What are the dimensions of Evaporation?

The dimensions of Evaporation are length per time, or L/T. This means that it is measured in units of distance (such as meters) per time (such as seconds).

What are the units of Evaporation?

The units of Evaporation depend on the specific system of measurement being used. In the International System of Units (SI), the unit for Evaporation is meters per second (m/s). In the United States Customary Units, the unit is feet per second (ft/s).

What does Evaporation measure?

Evaporation measures the rate at which a liquid changes into a gas. It is a physical process that occurs when the molecules in a liquid gain enough energy to escape into the air as vapor.

How is Evaporation measured?

Evaporation can be measured using various instruments, such as a pan evaporimeter or a lysimeter. These instruments collect data on the amount of liquid that has evaporated over a specific period of time, allowing scientists to calculate the rate of evaporation.

Why is Evaporation important?

Evaporation is an important process in the water cycle, as it is one of the primary ways that water is transferred from the Earth's surface into the atmosphere. It also plays a critical role in regulating the Earth's temperature and climate, as it is a cooling process that helps to balance the Earth's energy budget.