What are the energy values?

• Thread starter ohheytai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, we have a helium nucleus with a mass of 3.4e-27 kg and a speed of 0.939c. Using the relativistic equations, we can find the following values: particle energy = 8.897e-10 J, rest energy = 3.06e-10 J, kinetic energy = 5.83e-10 J. When an electric force of 4.2x10-9 J acts on the nucleus, the following values are found: particle energy = 8.897e-10 J, rest energy = 3.06e-10 J, kinetic energy = 5.83e-10 J. The relativistic factor g is used to take into
ohheytai
A helium nucleus has mass 3.4e-27 kg. If its speed |v| is 0.939c (that is, |v|/c = 0.939), what are the following values?
particle energy = 8.897e-10 J

rest energy = 3.06e-10J

kinetic energy = 5.83e-10J

i found those but now i can't figure this out:

Next an electric force acts on the helium nucleus and does 4.2x10-9 J of work on the particle. Now what are the following values?
particle energy = J

rest energy = J

kinetic energy = J

please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use the relativistic equations

Rest energy = E = M * C * C
Total energy = Rest energy + K.E
(No, K.E is not 0.5 m*v*V!)

As the v/c = 0.939, we can not ignore relativistic effects

relativistic factor g = 1/sqrt((1- (v/c)^2)

So total energy = rest energy * g

K.E = total energy - rest energy

i know that idk how to do it when there is a force i already solved for that

nvm figured it out thanks

Last edited:

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is present in all aspects of our daily lives, from powering our homes to fueling our bodies.

2. What are the different forms of energy?

There are several forms of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), chemical energy (stored in chemical bonds), and electrical energy (movement of charged particles).

3. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J), a unit named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule. Other common units of energy include calories (cal) and kilowatt-hours (kWh).

4. What are the energy values of different types of food?

The energy value of food is typically measured in calories (cal) or kilojoules (kJ). A gram of carbohydrates or protein contains about 4 calories, while a gram of fat contains about 9 calories. The exact energy values can vary depending on the specific food and its composition.

5. How does energy play a role in climate change?

The burning of fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide, which traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere and contributes to the greenhouse effect. This leads to an increase in global temperatures and other impacts such as sea level rise. Therefore, the energy sources we use have a significant impact on the Earth's climate.