What are the most precise (hence recent) tests of the inverse square law for gravity?

In summary, there have been tests of the inverse square law for gravity down to 218 micrometres in a 2001 paper, but more recent papers claim it has been tested to a greater precision of around 100 micrometres. However, there is confusion about the two different measurements of precision and length scale. Eric Adelberger's publications at the University of Washington may provide more information. He is currently reviewing recent tests on the inverse square law of gravitation down to 85 micrometres, and it has been found that gravity has been tested down to 56 micrometres and the inverse square law still holds.
karnten07
Hi guys,

I know that in a 2001 paper there were tests of the inverse square law for gravity down to 218\mu metres. But i have seen in other papers (more recent ones) that they claim it has been tested to a greater precision, somewhere around 100\mu metres i think. But these papers only make reference to this accuracy but give no actual references and don't know how i could find a paper which describes this precise test.

Does anyone know of any papers that have tested gravity to a finer precision? Is much appreciated.

Karnten07

Physics news on Phys.org

First, you're confusing two different things. The precision of a test is how small a deviation you could see: for example, a test that could spot a 1% variation is twice as precise as one that could spot a 2% variation. The length scale at which gravity is what is measured in microns. But you can have a more precise test at a longer distance, for example.

Second, I don't know what the measurement at the smallest length scale is, but I expect if you look for Eric Adelberger's publications (he's at the University of Washington), it would be a good start.

Vanadium 50 said:
First, you're confusing two different things. The precision of a test is how small a deviation you could see: for example, a test that could spot a 1% variation is twice as precise as one that could spot a 2% variation. The length scale at which gravity is what is measured in microns. But you can have a more precise test at a longer distance, for example.

Second, I don't know what the measurement at the smallest length scale is, but I expect if you look for Eric Adelberger's publications (he's at the University of Washington), it would be a good start.

Ah yes, you're right, sorry for the confusion. I was looking for the tests of gravity at the smallest length scale. Eric's paper is the one that i have and it is dated 2001, so i wasn't sure if these were the smallest length scales studied to date.

Ah, i found something, Eric is going to review recent tests on the inverse square law of gravitation down to 85\mu metres, now i just need to find the paper he's talking about! anyone? Thanks for your help Vanadium

Karnten07

karnten07 said:
Ah yes, you're right, sorry for the confusion. I was looking for the tests of gravity at the smallest length scale. Eric's paper is the one that i have and it is dated 2001, so i wasn't sure if these were the smallest length scales studied to date.

Ah, i found something, Eric is going to review recent tests on the inverse square law of gravitation down to 85\mu metres, now i just need to find the paper he's talking about! anyone? Thanks for your help Vanadium

Karnten07

Its okay i found it, gravitation has been tested down to 56\mu metres and te inverse square law still holds.

1. What is the inverse square law for gravity?

The inverse square law for gravity states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the inverse square law for gravity tested?

The inverse square law for gravity is tested by conducting experiments that measure the gravitational force between two objects at varying distances and masses.

3. What are the most precise tests of the inverse square law for gravity?

The most precise tests of the inverse square law for gravity involve using highly sensitive instruments such as torsion balances, which can measure extremely small forces accurately.

4. Why are recent tests of the inverse square law for gravity important?

Recent tests of the inverse square law for gravity are important because they can help to improve our understanding of gravity and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in physics.

5. What are some potential implications of a violation of the inverse square law for gravity?

If the inverse square law for gravity is found to be violated, it could have significant implications for our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics. It could also potentially lead to the development of new theories or modifications to existing ones.