Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the most precise (hence recent) tests of the inverse square law for gravity?

1. Dec 20, 2008 #1
    Hi guys,

I know that in a 2001 paper there were tests of the inverse square law for gravity down to 218\mu metres. But i have seen in other papers (more recent ones) that they claim it has been tested to a greater precision, somewhere around 100\mu metres i think. But these papers only make reference to this accuracy but give no actual references and don't know how i could find a paper which describes this precise test.

Does anyone know of any papers that have tested gravity to a finer precision? Is much appreciated.

Karnten07

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Re: What are the most precise (hence recent) tests of the inverse square law for grav

First, you're confusing two different things. The precision of a test is how small a deviation you could see: for example, a test that could spot a 1% variation is twice as precise as one that could spot a 2% variation. The length scale at which gravity is what is measured in microns. But you can have a more precise test at a longer distance, for example.

Second, I don't know what the measurement at the smallest length scale is, but I expect if you look for Eric Adelberger's publications (he's at the University of Washington), it would be a good start.

4. Dec 20, 2008 #3
    Re: What are the most precise (hence recent) tests of the inverse square law for grav

Ah yes, you're right, sorry for the confusion. I was looking for the tests of gravity at the smallest length scale. Eric's paper is the one that i have and it is dated 2001, so i wasn't sure if these were the smallest length scales studied to date.

Ah, i found something, Eric is going to review recent tests on the inverse square law of gravitation down to 85\mu metres, now i just need to find the paper he's talking about! anyone? Thanks for your help Vanadium

Karnten07

5. Dec 20, 2008 #4

Its okay i found it, gravitation has been tested down to 56\mu metres and te inverse square law still holds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?