What are the non-zero elements of the Riemann Tensor using the FLRW metric?

• Thread starter TerryW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, a conversation between two individuals discusses Exercise 14.3 in MTW, which asks for the connection coefficients and non-zero elements of the Riemann Tensor for the FLRW metric. The first individual has found four additional non-zero components, but the second individual clarifies that the problem only asks for two specific components and the rest can be found through symmetry considerations in an orthonormal frame. The first individual has since corrected their calculations and everything now works out symmetrically.
TerryW
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I've been working on Exercise 14.3 in MTW. This starts with the FLRW metric (see attachment) and asks that you find the connection coefficients and then produce the non-zero elements of the Riemann Tensor.

The answer given is that there are only 2 non-zero elements vis Rtχtχ and RχθχΘ.

My problem is that I have ended up with four additional non-zero components - RtΘtΘ, Rtφtφ, Rχφχφ andRΘφΘφ

The attachment lists the connection coefficients I've produced, a) by using the suggested methodology in the exercise (derive them from the geodesic equations) and to check my result by b) using the standard process of

Γμαβ= ½{gμα,β + gμβ,α - gαβ,μ}

I found an alternative version of the FLRW metric at the url given at the bottom of the attachment and used the connection coefficients derived in that example to produce the Riemann Tensor components and find that I get the same 6 non-zero components.

Two of the four unwanted components contain [itex]\ddot a[/itex] which come from the derivative wrt t of one of the connection coefficients. Clearly this element will not be eliminated by subtracting the product of two connection coefficients, neither of which contain [itex]\ddot a[/itex] .Can anyone suggest where I might be going wrong?
TerryW

Homework Equations

See attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

See attachment

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know what happened to the attachment then.

Attachments

• FLRW metric.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 292
I haven't checked all of your results for the curvature components. But I did check ##R^t_{\;\theta \theta t}## and got the same nonzero result as you.

However, I don't think this contradicts what MTW are saying in the problem. Part (b) states that if you consider components of the specific form ##R^t_{\;\chi \mu \nu}## then only ##R^t_{\;\chi t \chi}## will be nonzero. (Of course, ##R^t_{\;\chi \chi t}## would also be nonzero by antisymmetry of the last two indices.)

Likewise, out of all of the components of the specific form ##R^\chi_{\;\theta \mu \nu}##, only ##R^\chi_{\;\theta \chi \theta}## (and ##R^\chi_{\;\theta \theta \chi}##) will be nonzero.

They are not claiming anything about ##R^t_{\;\theta \theta t}## since this is not of the form ##R^t_{\;\chi \mu \nu}## or ##R^\chi_{\;\theta \mu \nu}## . So, your results could be OK.

Apparently, you don't need to worry about any other components. When you go to part (c), you will switch to an orthonormal frame in which you will be able to get all nonzero curvature components ##R^{\hat{\alpha}}_{\;\hat{\beta} \hat{\mu} \hat{\nu}}## from ##R^\hat{\chi}_{\;\hat{\theta} \hat{\chi} \hat{\theta}}## and ##R^\hat{t}_{\;\hat{\chi} \hat{t} \hat{\chi}}## by symmetry considerations. I haven't done this, but I think that's what's going on.

Last edited:
Likes TerryW
TSny said:
I haven't checked all of your results for the curvature components. But I did check ##R^t_{\;\theta \theta t}## and got the same nonzero result as you.

However, I don't think this contradicts what MTW are saying in the problem. Part (b) states that if you consider components of the specific form ##R^t_{\;\chi \mu \nu}## then only ##R^t_{\;\chi t \chi}## will be nonzero. (Of course, ##R^t_{\;\chi \chi t}## would also be nonzero by antisymmetry of the last two indices.)

Likewise, out of all of the components of the specific form ##R^\chi_{\;\theta \mu \nu}##, only ##R^\chi_{\;\theta \chi \theta}## (and ##R^\chi_{\;\theta \theta \chi}##) will be nonzero.

They are not claiming anything about ##R^t_{\;\theta \theta t}## since this is not of the form ##R^t_{\;\chi \mu \nu}## or ##R^\chi_{\;\theta \mu \nu}## . So, your results could be OK.

Apparently, you don't need to worry about any other components. When you go to part (c), you will switch to an orthonormal frame in which you will be able to get all nonzero curvature components ##R^{\hat{\alpha}}_{\;\hat{\beta} \hat{\mu} \hat{\nu}}## from ##R^\hat{\chi}_{\;\hat{\theta} \hat{\chi} \hat{\theta}}## and ##R^\hat{t}_{\;\hat{\chi} \hat{t} \hat{\chi}}## by symmetry considerations. I haven't done this, but I think that's what's going on.
Thanks for pointing that out TSny,

I just didn't notice the detail of what was being asked and ploughed ahead working out all the components!

I don't think I'll have a problem with the rest of the exercise.One good outcome is that there is now one post on the Forum where someone can find the connection coefficients for the FLRW metric! I've searched quite a lot for a table of metrics and their connection coefficients, plus Riemann Tensor components etc without success.
Regards
TerryW

TerryW said:
One good outcome is that there is now one post on the Forum where someone can find the connection coefficients for the FLRW metric!
Yes, that's nice.

As I worked on the last bit of the exercise, I found a couple of errors in my workings for two the Riemann Tensor components so I've updated my original attachment. With these amended components, everything works out nicely and symmetrically.

TerryW

Attachments

• FLRW metric.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 186

Related to What are the non-zero elements of the Riemann Tensor using the FLRW metric?

What is the FLRW metric?

The FLRW metric, also known as the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker metric, is a mathematical model used to describe the large-scale structure and expansion of the universe. It is based on the principles of general relativity and takes into account the effects of gravity on the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

What is the problem with the FLRW metric?

One of the main problems with the FLRW metric is that it assumes a homogenous and isotropic universe, meaning that the universe looks the same in all directions and at all points in time. However, this assumption does not account for the observed irregularities and structures in the universe, such as galaxy clusters and filaments.

How does the problem with the FLRW metric affect our understanding of the universe?

The problem with the FLRW metric challenges our current understanding of the universe and its evolution. If the universe is not truly homogenous and isotropic, then our models and theories about the origin and expansion of the universe may need to be revised. It also raises questions about the validity of the cosmological principle, which states that the universe is the same for all observers.

Are there any proposed solutions to the problem with the FLRW metric?

There are several proposed solutions to the problem with the FLRW metric, including modifications to the model to account for small-scale inhomogeneities, or the incorporation of new physics, such as dark energy or modified gravity. However, more research and observational data are needed to determine the most accurate and complete model for the large-scale structure of the universe.

How can the problem with the FLRW metric be tested and validated?

One way to test the FLRW metric and its assumptions is through observations and measurements of the universe, such as the distribution and motion of galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation. Additionally, simulations and numerical models can be used to compare the predictions of the FLRW metric to real-world data and observations.