What are the requirements for interstellar travel at different speeds?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Jon0815
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Using information and calculators I found online, I have put together a series of tables illustrating the energy, fuel mass, and time requirements (both Earth and ship time, at 1 g acceleration) for a spacecraft to reach various percentages of light speed.

https://sites.google.com/site/interstellartraveltables/

I don't have a physics background myself, so I'd appreciate it if anyone who does could look it over and see if they spot any errors.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not going to check all of the numbers, but all of the nonaccelerated numbers look reasonable.

What is meant by, "Acceleration time at 1 gravity"? Also, these types of calculations (fuel mass, energy requirements, etc.) are particularly enlightening (and more difficult) in the case of the accelerating starship. I see you've worked out timetables, but it's also interesting to see the absurd amount of fuel necessary to maintain these accelerations :)
 
What is meant by, "Acceleration time at 1 gravity"?

The time it takes to reach to reach the speed at 1 gravity acceleration. I'll change that to make it more clear.
 
Jon0815 said:
The time it takes to reach to reach the speed at 1 gravity acceleration. I'll change that to make it more clear.
I'm sorry, but this does not make sense.

g = 9.81 m/s2 is a measure of acceleration, and speed (or magnitude of velocity) is found by integrating the acceleration over time. If one accelerates at a constant acceleration of g, the v = gt + vo.

One also needs the specific impulse in order to determine the propellant mass flow rate to achieve a given thrust, and mass flow rate integrated over time will give the total propellant to be stored. If there is a huge mass of propellant, one will require a substantial thrust to get 1 g of acceleration, and one will need substantial mass in which to store the propellant.

Ideally, one has a high Isp, which means a lot of energy per unit mass of propellant. However, high Isp systems usually have low mass flow rates.
 
Astronuc said:
I'm sorry, but this does not make sense.

g = 9.81 m/s2 is a measure of acceleration, and speed (or magnitude of velocity) is found by integrating the acceleration over time. If one accelerates at a constant acceleration of g, the v = gt + vo.

Well, acceleration might be constant in the frame of the rocket, but will not be in the static Earth frame. But I think it's now clear what was meant.