What are the tensions in the strings?

• Thread starter fickle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary: If it stays horizontal, then the tension in the strings is equal. If it starts to tilt, then the tension in the strings is not equal and you will need to adjust the weight on A.
fickle
AB is a uniform bar of length 5m and weighs 60N. It is supported in a horizontal position by two vertical strings P and Q. P is 0.5m from A and Q is 1.5m from B.

(a) What are the tensions in the strings? (Ans= 20N and 40N)

(b) What weight must be applied to A if the tensions in the strings are to be equal? (Ans= 15N)

(c) What is the biggest mass which can be hung from B if the bar is to remain horizontal? (Ans= 4.1kg)

My teacher gave us the answers to these questions. I have gotten part (a), but I truly am lost with (b) and (c). For some reason I keep getting (b) to be 0N... I would really appreciate any help and explanations. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us how you trying to solve (b) and we can see what's going on.

Ok... I'm just working based on the only example my teacher gave us, which is as far from this problem as possible, but here it goes. This time I got 58N, uh.

F*5 - (60*2.5) - (40*3.5) = 0
5F - 150 -140 = 0
5F = 140+150
5F = 290
F = 58

Well, now I was just trying something and got 15N but I have no idea if this is the way to do it. I considered the tension to be 30N.

5*F = 30 * 2.5
5F = 75
F = 15

fickle said:
Well, now I was just trying something and got 15N but I have no idea if this is the way to do it. I considered the tension to be 30N.

5*F = 30 * 2.5
5F = 75
F = 15

Regarding (b). The first equation is the sum of moments around B. This will give you an equation with two unknowns - F and P, where P is the tension in the strings. The second equation is the equation of equilibrium of all vertical forces. This equation will give another equation with two unknowns - F and P. Now all you have to do is solve this system of 2 equations with 2 unknowns, i.e. elliminate P from the first equation to obtain F. I got the right answer, so this should work.

To solve (b), start by identifying all the forces acting on the bar (including the unknown weight, F). Hint: I count four forces.

Then you will apply the conditions for equilibrium:
(1) Sum of the forces must equal zero.
(2) Sum of the torques (about any point) must equal zero.

Um... I tried what I thought you were telling me to do, and I got 30N.

120 -3P + 0.5F
60 -2P + F

240 -6P + F
180 -6P + 3F

60 = 2F
F = 30N

What went wrong?

fickle said:
120 -3P + 0.5F
I don't understand where this comes from. I assume P = tension; F = added weight?

60 -2P + F
I assume you mean:
60 -2P + F = 0

That's good.

Now find the torques about point B to get a second equation.

Wow I got it after all... thanks! I'll try (c) now... can I still post in this thread for help on that one?

fickle said:
can I still post in this thread for help on that one?
Of course!

Do I take a similar approach as I did with (b)? And do I treat the tension in the strings as equal forces?

fickle said:
Do I take a similar approach as I did with (b)?
You will use the same general principles that I outlined in post #6.
And do I treat the tension in the strings as equal forces?
Absolutely not! That's part of the trick with this question--how will you know if the bar remains level? Try to picture what's going on as you load extra weight on the bar.

What are the tensions in the strings?

The tensions in strings refer to the amount of force applied to a string, causing it to stretch or deform. This tension allows the string to vibrate and produce sound.

How do you calculate the tensions in strings?

The tension in a string can be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, and L is the length of the string. This formula applies to strings that are under equal tension along their entire length.

What factors affect the tensions in strings?

The tension in a string can be affected by various factors such as the material and thickness of the string, the amount of force applied, and the length and weight of the string. Temperature and humidity can also affect the tension in strings made of certain materials.

Why are tensions in strings important in musical instruments?

The tensions in strings play a crucial role in producing sound in musical instruments. The amount of tension determines the pitch and volume of the sound produced. Different tensions in strings can also create different tones and timbres in instruments.

Can the tensions in strings be adjusted?

Yes, the tensions in strings can be adjusted by changing the length, thickness, or material of the string. In some instruments, such as guitars, the tension can also be adjusted by tuning the strings to different pitches. Properly adjusting the tensions in strings is essential for producing the desired sound in musical instruments.