What are the values of x and y for the complex number z=\sqrt{3+4i}?

Glad to be of assistance.In summary, the task is to find the values of x and y such that z=\sqrt{3+4i}. This can be solved by squaring both sides and equating the real and imaginary parts. Another method is converting to polar form and using deMoivre's formula. There will be two solutions for this problem.
Stroodle
[tex]z=x+yi[/tex] determine the values of x and y such that [tex]z=\sqrt{3+4i}[/tex]
I'm not even sure where to start with this one, so any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
So basically the question you are given is find x and y where
[tex] x+yi=\sqrt{3+4i}[/tex].
Start off by squaring both sides, then go about solving for x and y. When solving variables with complex numbers, you usually equate the real and imaginary parts of both sides. In other words, if you have x+iy=u+iv, then x=u and y=v. This should get you going. Let us know if you are still stuck.

In other words, find the square root of 3+4i. Of course, there are two square roots - the problem said "values"- so n!kofeyn's equations will have two solutions. You could also do this problem by converting to "polar" form and applying deMoivre's formula. That was my first thought but n!kofeyn's idea is simpler and more straightforward.

Awesome. I've got it now. Thanks for your help.

No problem.

Related to What are the values of x and y for the complex number z=\sqrt{3+4i}?

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit equal to √-1.

2. How are complex numbers represented on the complex plane?

Complex numbers are represented on the complex plane as points with a real coordinate (horizontal axis) and an imaginary coordinate (vertical axis). The real part is represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part is represented on the y-axis.

3. What are the basic operations of complex numbers?

The basic operations of complex numbers are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Addition and subtraction are performed by adding or subtracting the real and imaginary parts separately. Multiplication is done by using the distributive property and combining like terms. Division is done by rationalizing the denominator and simplifying the result.

4. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is another complex number with the same real part but the imaginary part is the opposite sign. For example, the conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, electrical engineering, and signal processing. They are also used in financial modeling, weather forecasting, and cryptography. In everyday life, complex numbers are used in calculating electrical currents, analyzing vibrations in structures, and understanding quantum mechanics.