What are you currently reading?

• Thread starter Infinitum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation is about what books the participants are currently reading and their thoughts on them. Some of the books mentioned include Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh, Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan, A Life of Discovery: Michael Faraday, Giant of the Scientific Revolution by James Hamilton, For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway, The Roman Invasion of Britain, Chinatown: Portrait of a Closed Society, The Monster of Florence by Preston & Spezi, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Origins: Fourteen Billion Years Of Cosmic Evolution by Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Donald Goldsmith, Humanizing the Economy: Co-operatives in the Age of Capital by
Journey to the West - a 16th century chinese novel. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

Very interesting main character.

To Kill a Mockingbird
It has been sitting on the shelf for forever, time to put it of its misery.

Volkswagen New Beetle Service Manual 1998-2002.

I'm halfway through it and still waiting for the plot to develop.?:)

Karl Popper's The Open Society and Its Enemies (One-Volume Edition, 2013 Princeton) is open on the floor next to me, ready for its in depth re-reading with all external references and citations. The first read took all of last winter.

Neal Stephenson's Anathem (2008 Morrow) is on the bedside table.

Lee Smolin and Leonard Sussikind are in the KINDLE for when I can steal a moment from other stuff.

I am trying to learn how to use an on-line archive of Martin Luther, which catalogue is athwart my needs.

Andreas Albrecht's 'Origin of probabilities and their application to the multiverse', arxiv:1212.0953v1 is on my desk for me to practice expanding <Bra| - |Ket> notation. Anyone know a good Maxima CAS package for that?

Enigman said:
To Kill a Mockingbird
It has been sitting on the shelf for forever, time to put it of its misery.

Awesome book!

Superposed_Cat said:
One flew over the cukoo's nest is a good book.
Try Kesey's second book: "Sometimes a Great Notion"

Based on his first two books, you'd think Ken Kesey could have been the best American writer ever. I think taking on a new profession (drug addled celebrity) ruined his career.

Forgot my copy of the Silmarillion at my parents home :(
Nothing else to read here at the moment.

Bukowski's "Women".

CFDFEAGURU said:
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

Very interesting main character.

Indeed. I refused to read the sequel until there was at least a release date for the third book. Wise Man's Fear (a gift from a friend) is sitting on my desk right now.

When I finish Murakami's Norwegian Wood, I might just read that.

Borek, what do you think of Women? I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I liked Post Office better though.

Mépris said:
Borek, what do you think of Women? I really enjoyed it.

In many ways fascinating, but not what I consider a "pleasant read". Still, definitely worth the time.

I have read a great book recently, Jetlag by Michał Radomił Wiśniewski - sadly, available in Polish only.

Borek said:
In many ways fascinating, but not what I consider a "pleasant read". Still, definitely worth the time.

I have read a great book recently, Jetlag by Michał Radomił Wiśniewski - sadly, available in Polish only.

Yeah, I can see why one would say that. Chinaski is not the most socially acceptable guy. Two pints of whisky, a six pack, cheap cigars, and all this talk about blackheads.

Not very pleasant.

I think it gets a bit derivative after a while. He makes me say "Look, you've made your point. Are you going somewhere else with this?" I read half the novel, and I may as well have read the full one.

But I enjoy such ramblings, and meticulous descriptions. So for me, it was enjoyable still. But after Post Office, I decided I had had enough.

Anyway, I really enjoy Murakami's (Norwegian Wood) writing because of those "ramblings".

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Mépris said:
I think it gets a bit derivative after a while. He makes me say "Look, you've made your point. Are you going somewhere else with this?" I read half the novel, and I may as well have read the full one.

Exactly my thoughts of yesterday, and I am around 66%. "Are you going to add something new, or is it all that you had to say?"

But I started with Ham on Rye, which was different, so I don't know yet if I am going to read more of Bukowski, or not. I have plenty of other books on my list.

I'm going to start reading "The Balkans: Nationalism, War and the Great Powers, 1804-1999", just waiting for it to arrive.

Mastery by Robert Greene.

It is simply fantastic!

Every college bound kids, and college freshmen and sophomores should read it immediately.

Borek said:
Exactly my thoughts of yesterday, and I am around 66%. "Are you going to add something new, or is it all that you had to say?"

But I started with Ham on Rye, which was different, so I don't know yet if I am going to read more of Bukowski, or not. I have plenty of other books on my list.

When I was in college (the first time, in my 20s) I was really into Bukowski for some reason. Read almost everything he wrote. Now when I look at it I just feel it's something I've outgrown.

-Dave K

I haven't read him before. I am an impulse reader and it just happened Bukowski was mentioned as an example of something in a discussion between my friends - so I decided to give him a try.

I just finished reading "The Three Musketeers." Took me quite awhile, on and off. It was a fun read - though I wish I was more familiar with the history he used as the setting. They key to appreciating the book for me was to realize the kind of values held dear to those in the story.. i.e. chivalry, bravery, vengeance, that sort of thing. Nothing really more profound than that. Lots of swashbuckling romance and adventure type stuff. Fun all the way through.

So I decided to do the Asimov thing. I've been mostly into hard sci-fi for the past several years (Analog magazine and such), and while Asimov doesn't fit that genre, he is just such a good storyteller. I read "Robots of Dawn" awhile ago and it was pretty profound and escapist at the same time. So I started with "I, Robot" (A collection of short stories) and then I'm going to go back into the sequence, then perhaps go to the foundation series.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
I just finished reading "The Three Musketeers."

That would be around 1976 in my case ;)

Borek said:
That would be around 1976 in my case ;)

And a lot earlier for some people!

I plan to read Quentin Skrabec's biography, George Westinghouse: Gentle Genius.
http://books.google.com/books?id=C3...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
http://www.algora.com/136/book/details.html

Meanwhile - here is a brief article on G. Westinghouse -
Will Railroads adopt the Westinghouse Air-Brake? … 1870 by I. E. Levine
http://saltofamerica.com/contents/displayArticle.aspx?19_170

An interesting set of articles:
Create & Innovate: Home Grown Innovation, Invention, Home Made Gifts & Games
http://saltofamerica.com/contents/TopicIndex.aspx?19

An interesting site - http://saltofamerica.com/contents/default.aspx

dkotschessaa said:
...then perhaps go to the foundation series.

-Dave K

These are very good stories. Surprisingly so.

This series started out as a short story in a magazine and Asimov's only real goal was for the magazine to hire him to write a second short story (so the first had to be entertaining and end on a cliffhanger that would leave readers wanting to know what happens next). And, likewise, his only goal for the second story was for the magazine to buy a third story, etc.

Usually, just meandering at random is a bad strategy for writing a book (but writing a book, or three, was never Asimov's goal). Of course, some of the problems are evident by the fact that the story took three books to tell and only towards the end did Asimov start thinking this was a story that needed an ending, let alone how to get there.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

dkotschessaa said:
. . . then perhaps go to the foundation series.

-Dave K
I read the second book, Foundation and Empire in high school. I did not know at the time that the book was part of a series. Several years ago, I discovered the series, and that it was more than three books, which became 7 altogether.

I think I read the original trilogy, Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, then the other 4 in order.

According to the Wikipedia article, "For nearly thirty years, the series was a trilogy: Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation. It won the one-time Hugo Award for "Best All-Time Series" in 1966. Asimov began adding to the series in 1981, with two sequels: Foundation's Edge, Foundation and Earth, and two prequels: Prelude to Foundation, Forward the Foundation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

"Foundation is a collection of five short stories, which were first published together as a book by Gnome Press in 1951 which, together, form a single plot." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_(novel )

The stories were written at the dawn of the 'nuclear age', when there was a lot of hype about science and nuclear energy, and many folks had unrealistic expectations of how science and nuclear energy would transform the world. It was also a time following the trauma of World War II, so hope for the future was probably extraordinary. The stories reference 'nucleics' or nuclear powered devices, which reflect the attitude toward nuclear power and technology at the time.

See the reference in nucleics in - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_(novel)#The_Traders

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I find it quite slow, beating around the bush. I rather just read the back cover detailing her philosophy. (As it happens I also don't agree with her philosophy of things).

I only continue to read it is because I'm already ~70% through.

Currently engrossed in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin. About three-quarters of the way through the fourth book (A Feast for Crows), one more currently published book (A Dance with Dragons) to go, and more to come, I'm sure. I started the series a few weeks back and just want to "catch up" before the new season of Game of Thrones starts up in about six months.

Kafka "The Trial"

Richard Morgan: Thirteen ...

Likes Medicol
I just found this to be a really good read to share (Likely many of you have skimmed it). I've spent 2 hours to read most of the comments and understand pretty much this is quite like a "global" issue in hiring. Clearly I just can't stand HR 's stubbornness. But all ideas really make my day! :DD (chuckles)
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20141006125226-10136502-why-you-must-lie-on-job-interviews-and-what-you-must-lie-about
I love Mark Stevens's ideas and Kandi Jackson's comments most.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Great Deformation: The Corruption of Capitalism in America.

Thread resurrection!

Recently read:
"Gone Girl". Good story, hard to like any of the characters though.

"All The Light We Cannot See". Fantastic! Well written, great story...read it. Really, you have to read it.

Currently reading:
"Les Miserables". I've seen the movie (omg great movie!). Only 17% through (yes I'm reading on Kindle), but I like it so far. Hugo is in no special hurry to tell this tale - it's as if hurrying it would diminish his point. Makes me wish I could still read in French so I could read the original.

lisab said:
Thread resurrection!

Recently read:
"Gone Girl". Good story, hard to like any of the characters though.

"All The Light We Cannot See". Fantastic! Well written, great story...read it. Really, you have to read it.

Currently reading:
"Les Miserables". I've seen the movie (omg great movie!). Only 17% through (yes I'm reading on Kindle), but I like it so far. Hugo is in no special hurry to tell this tale - it's as if hurrying it would diminish his point. Makes me wish I could still read in French so I could read the original.

Which movie? The '98 one with Liam Neeson or the newer one? Academia has ruined leisure reading for me, but I really liked the '98 adaptation.

Just finished An equal music and now reading Lord of the flies.