What Are Your Favorite Foods at Holiday Get-Togethers?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary: At Christmas dinner, my grandma always serves ham, turkey, and a jelly roll. My mom usually makes macaroni and cheese with bacon, and we usually have a fruit salad or apple sauce. We have a lot of variety in our food, but it's all usually pretty heavy. In summary, most people's holiday get-togethers are pretty boring, but my family's gatherings are actually really fun because there is a lot of food to choose from. My family usually barbeques pengwuin on a stick, and I always make shish kabobs.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
FOOD!:Holiday get-togethers

I was thinking how most people say that when the holidays roll around or after a holiday weekend, they're stuffed and can't eat for a month and blah blah blah. My situation is the exact opposite. Sometimes I even go out for fast food after one of these so called feasts. For most get-togethers for my family... i'll have a burger, maybe a hotdog... and that's about it, the side dishes are typically rice, beans, and potato salad (and i never eat beans). BORING. For things like Christmas dinner or thanksgiving, throw in tamales and ham/turkey and rolls and that's about it. I'm starting to think the problem is those small small paper plates you get at gatherings that makes you eat less.

Anyhow, what's everyone else's get-togethers like food wise? I want long lists of food that is available! chop chop! The best list will give me their address so I can have a place to drop by for holidays.

Physics news on Phys.org

Ok, my family is far more into food than yours, from your description. But there are complications: we have vegans (sigh), one member who is terribly allergic to wheat, and another member who has a long, long list of foods she's allergic to (wheat is not on the list).

So a few Christmases ago, I made Red Beans and Rice (two versions: vegan and regular) and Crab Gumbo (three versions: vegan, wheatless, and regular). Had to cook it all in shifts because I didn't have enough burners on the stove!

But there was also a big salad someone brought (I think it was something like spinach, pecans, strawberries, feta cheese...and raspberry vinegrette), fresh bread, and asparagus.

And beer and wine.

It was great. Complicated, but great.

Last edited:

Primarily, we have barbequed pengwuin on a stick.

I didn't do anything special this year for July 4. I treated myself to two days of bumming around and doing nothing since I really haven't just relaxed for a long time.

But, depending on where I go for the 4th other years, sometimes my experience is similar to yours where I come home hungry because I eat hamburgers, but I don't like most brands of hot dogs and don't like things like macaroni salad or pasta salads or baked beans that seem ubiquitous at these events. I used to not like potato salad or coleslaw either, and STILL don't like the potato salad and cole slaw that shows up at family gatherings (my aunt makes the same recipe my grandmother makes, and they're flavorless).

I've been to other gatherings, though, that are MUCH better (or if I do a bbq myself, I cook up a lot more). In addition to hamburgers and hotdogs, we'll have bbq chicken and ribs, pork chops, maybe some grilled or smoked salmon too. I love to make shish kabobs too, and grill up veggies as well...zucchini is really easy to grill. Corn on the cob is essential. Of course there will be plenty of other munchies around...chips, dip, salsa, pretzels. I'll put out tossed green salads with lots of goodies in them in addition to the other salads people usually expect. One person I know makes a very yummy taco dip for tortillas. And now that I have turbo's jalapeno popper recipe, those will be starting to make appearances at cookouts too.

Oh, and desserts, have to have desserts. For summer bbqs, there will always be ice cream and fruit salad, watermelon, and cake (sometimes strawberry shortcake, sometimes a regular layer cake or sheet cake...not too many people like to bake in summer, so at most gatherings, this is store bought for bbq's). When it's people from work getting together, there are often multiple chocolate cakes.

I don't worry about vegetarians though. I've been to their houses and they never take into account the non-vegetarians to offer something with meat, so if they want something other than the salad, they can bring a dish.

Ivan Seeking said:
Primarily, we have barbequed pengwuin on a stick.

Please don't ever invite me to dinner at your house.

My family are fat ***es so there is always a lot of food at family get togethers usually slathered in cheese or butter or something. They make everything so rich that I can not usually eat much before I start to feel sick.
Thanks giving is the worst. Turkey and/or honey baked ham, deviled eggs, stuffing usually with ham or sausage in it, mashed potatoes made with sourcream and cheese, greenbeans baked in mushroom cream sauce, rice pilaf, corn, cranberry sauce, jello salad that is almost as much fruit as it is jello, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and sometimes also a cheese cake or chocolate mousse. Of course they start the day off with appetizers like potato chips with ranch dip, tortilla chips with salsa and cream cheese, and crackers with honey baked ham salad.

We had a pretty good gathering over the 4th, with enough different types of food to keep everyone happy. There was a spicy rubbed flank steak, and chicken kabobs. Several fruit salads, also a really great rice noodle/ orange/ asparagus something. Later we had pies, brownies and ice cream, then a really great fireworks display.

Coming from French-Canadian stock on my mother's side and German-Irish on my father's side, I grew up with a pile of food traditions. They often got mixed up, as one aunt grabbed dishes from one family and started spreading them around on their own. I was really close to my mother, and unlike my 3 sisters I actually learned how to cook (and garden!) so I have to be "hands-on" in the kitchen.

I knew a few old guys in my town that were great cooks, including an old-timer that cooked bean-hole baked beans and was the best at it. When I was a little kid, and went to a PTA supper, I would find Calvin and ask him which table his beans would be served at, and he'd tell me. He thought it was pretty nice, that he had such a fan of his baked beans. If Irma Pratt's biscuits ended up served at the same table, I would be in hog heaven!

Pengwuino said:
Please don't ever invite me to dinner at your house.

You are already invited my friend, but be sure to bring a broom handle.

Ivan Seeking said:
You are already invited my friend, but be sure to bring a broom handle.

:eek: :bugeye: OUCH!

I prefer roast penguin in winter...seems like more of a cold weather dish.

1. What are some popular holiday dishes?

Some popular holiday dishes include roasted turkey, glazed ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie.

2. How can I accommodate dietary restrictions at holiday get-togethers?

It's important to communicate with your guests beforehand to ask about any dietary restrictions. You can also provide options for guests to bring their own dishes or offer alternative dishes that cater to their specific needs.

3. What are some tips for avoiding food waste during holiday meals?

To avoid food waste, plan out your menu and portion sizes carefully. Use leftovers to create new dishes or freeze them for later. You can also encourage guests to bring containers to take home leftovers.

4. How can I make sure my holiday meal is safe to eat?

Make sure to follow proper food safety guidelines, such as washing your hands before handling food, cooking meats to the appropriate temperature, and storing leftovers in a timely manner. You can also use a food thermometer to ensure meats are fully cooked.

5. How can I make my holiday meal more environmentally friendly?

Consider using locally-sourced and organic ingredients, using reusable plates and utensils, and composting food scraps. You can also encourage guests to carpool or use public transportation to reduce carbon emissions.