What areas of aerospace can I explore with my background in math and physics?

In summary, the speaker recently completed a math undergraduate degree with a focus on physics and research on vortex rings. They are interested in exploring physical phenomena related to ODEs, PDEs, and vector calculus in the aerospace field. They are seeking suggestions for graduate level studies, specifically in areas such as plasma, control, and thermodynamics. The experts suggest turbulence research and studying gas turbines, deep stall, and vortex augmented lift.
member 428835
what area of aerospace??

just finished my math undergrad with a good amount of physics and research on vortex rings. i enjoyed ode/pde/vector calc and would like to explore physical phenomena related to these areas. this leads me to aerospace.

at the graduate level, any suggestions on areas i may like? if nothing else do you know a resource on becoming familiar enough with basic areas ie plasma/control/thermodynamics...

please be specific.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

You may enjoy turbulence research based on some of that.

Gas turbines might interest you

thanks guys! i appreciate your advice and will look into those areas

Turbulence most likely. You could also study deep stall and vortex augmented lift.

Related to What areas of aerospace can I explore with my background in math and physics?

1. What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves a combination of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering principles to create efficient and safe flying machines.

2. What are the different areas of aerospace engineering?

The different areas of aerospace engineering include aerodynamics, materials science, propulsion systems, control systems, flight mechanics, and avionics. Each area plays a crucial role in the design and operation of aircraft and spacecraft.

3. What is the difference between aeronautics and astronautics?

Aeronautics refers to the study and design of aircraft that operate within Earth's atmosphere, while astronautics deals with the design and development of spacecraft that operate outside of Earth's atmosphere. Both fields fall under the umbrella of aerospace engineering.

4. What kind of education is required to work in the aerospace industry?

Most positions in the aerospace industry require at least a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering or a related field. Many employers also prefer candidates with a master's degree or higher for more advanced roles. Additionally, ongoing education and training are necessary to keep up with advancements in technology and regulations.

5. What kind of job opportunities are available in the aerospace industry?

The aerospace industry offers a wide range of job opportunities, including roles in design and development, manufacturing, testing, and maintenance of aircraft and spacecraft. There are also opportunities in research and development, project management, and consulting. Some engineers also work for government agencies, such as NASA or the Department of Defense.