What areas of study does electrical engineering cover

In summary: Does electrical engineering involve anything else? Power/Control - motors, generators, and control systems, transmission linesDigital - Logic circuits (very simple computers)Computer EngineeringCommunications (electromagnetic waves)All of the branches involve general circuit theory too, of course, including transistors and signal analysis. Not a bit but a lot, especially in Engineering Electromagnetics and in Communication Systems and in Microwave Engineering. I think there are a little chemistry in High Voltage. Your starting curriculum will typically include two semesters of introductory chemistry along
land_of_ice
This is my best guess, would this be correct? Electrical engineering is about physics and electronic circuits mostly, and quite a bit of math, and a little chemistry, a small amount of that. Does electrical engineering involve anything else?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't seen any chemistry in EE yet. Here are the branches of EE at my University:

Power/Control - motors, generators, and control systems, transmission lines

Digital - Logic circuits (very simple computers)

Computer Engineering

Communications (electromagnetic waves)

All of the branches involve general circuit theory too, of course, including transistors and signal analysis.

land_of_ice said:
and quite a bit of math

Not a bit but a lot, especially in Engineering Electromagnetics and in Communication Systems and in Microwave Engineering.

I think there are a little chemistry in High Voltage.

Your starting curriculum will typically include two semesters of introductory chemistry along with one semester each of Newtonian modern physics. You'll typically have a couple of semesters of English, History, and Liberal studies (just for torture). Then, all the math up to and including diff eq, linear systems, and calc III. You'll likely get a smattering of the other schools of study such as a semester each of static structures, dynamic structures, and thermodynamics.

Then, you're ready to dig into electronics :)

Basics include circuit theory, linear systems (good for understanding control and communications systems), motors / generators, numerical methods (using computers with math to solve problems).

A little higher is electromagnetic fields and waves (a fairly tough course - lots of math), control systems, semiconductor circuits, digital design

Finally, you get to choose what you want to concentrate on for your career: communications, signal processing, programming, advanced control systems, logic design (a very profitable one these days), power electronics (my original direction), bio-med.

A heads up is in order. It's hard for a newbee to break into a good job without a Masters. Generally, a BSEE has to settle for a rotten job, put in a few years, and develop his talent. I've seen guys go home at night and teach themselves the specialty that helps them break into a good paying job, but that takes talent.

A Masters degree is a different story altogether. Get a Masters in a desirable field and you don't have to compete nearly as much.

I wish you well,

Mike

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of study that deals with the design, development, and application of electrical systems, devices, and technologies. It involves the study of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics to create and improve systems that use or produce electricity.

2. What areas of study are covered in electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering covers a wide range of areas, including circuit analysis, power systems, control systems, digital systems, electronics, communications, and signal processing. It also encompasses areas such as computer engineering, electromagnetics, and nanotechnology.

3. What skills are required for a career in electrical engineering?

To be successful in electrical engineering, one needs to have a strong foundation in math and physics. Problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills are also essential. In addition, a solid understanding of electrical systems and technologies, as well as the ability to work with complex equipment and software, is crucial.

4. What types of jobs can one pursue with a degree in electrical engineering?

A degree in electrical engineering opens up a variety of career options. Some of the most common job titles include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, control systems engineer, power systems engineer, telecommunications engineer, and computer engineer. Graduates can work in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, transportation, manufacturing, and research and development.

5. How is electrical engineering related to other fields of engineering?

Electrical engineering is closely related to other fields of engineering, such as mechanical engineering, computer engineering, and civil engineering. Many engineering projects require collaboration between different disciplines, and electrical engineering plays a crucial role in the design and implementation of various systems and technologies.