What Bachelor Program Should I Pursue for a Career in Astrophysics?

• Thread starter Rohit Udhwani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi Student
In summary: English and 2 other subjects, usually science subjects For automobile engineering... I am not too sure I would imagine maths and physics would be important but not really necessary, for definite I would say design technology and engineering would be useful. It really depends on what the university wants but I would definitely take maths and physics, engineering, design technology, computer science and maybe chemistry (though probably not needed)
Rohit Udhwani
So I'm 16 years old. I'm in the edexel gcse curriculum, and I'm in SR5 currently (that'll be grade 11 or high school for the americans). I'm going to be taking my Alevels soon. I'm really into physics and Maths. My favorite scientists are Neil Degrasse Tyson, Nikola Tesla, Einstein and a lot more. I am really looking into the field of physics, anything that has to do with space or the universe in general. I've got a year more and I'd head off to to uni. So my question is, what bachelor program should i take? And what are the requirements in the alevel and olevel marks for getting into a uni with that certain degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rohit Udhwani said:
So I'm 16 years old. I'm in the edexel gcse curriculum, and I'm in SR5 currently (that'll be grade 11 or high school for the americans). I'm going to be taking my Alevels soon. I'm really into physics and Maths. My favorite scientists are Neil Degrasse Tyson, Nikola Tesla, Einstein and a lot more. I am really looking into the field of physics, anything that has to do with space or the universe in general. I've got a year more and I'd head off to to uni. So my question is, what bachelor program should i take? And what are the requirements in the alevel and olevel marks for getting into a uni with that certain degree?

I am assuming your from the uk as youre doing a-levels. if you want to do physics you need to take maths, physics and preferably (but not essential but will make your application more competitive) further maths, the other subject you take doesn't matter. The entry grades for physics range wildly from needing BCC to A*A*A* at A-level dependent on where you want to go (you will need to look into this). Outside of the top 4/5 UK unis, gcses don't matter too much but you will need at least passes in science, maths and english plus a few others.

As for which physics course, I recommend taking MPhys Physics if your interests lie in just physics. There are some joint honors courses but not many (this is where you study 2 subjects at university, most common is maths and physics (this is essentially what I do))

While I don't recommend using league tables much when deciding a university, a good rule of thumb is the higher up the league tables you go the more advanced content in later years you study (but the difference between say 10th and 15th will be little, I mean when you compare 5th to say 25th)

max1995 said:
I am assuming your from the uk as youre doing a-levels. if you want to do physics you need to take maths, physics and preferably (but not essential but will make your application more competitive) further maths, the other subject you take doesn't matter. The entry grades for physics range wildly from needing BCC to A*A*A* at A-level dependent on where you want to go (you will need to look into this). Outside of the top 4/5 UK unis, gcses don't matter too much but you will need at least passes in science, maths and english plus a few others.

As for which physics course, I recommend taking MPhys Physics if your interests lie in just physics. There are some joint honors courses but not many (this is where you study 2 subjects at university, most common is maths and physics (this is essentially what I do))

While I don't recommend using league tables much when deciding a university, a good rule of thumb is the higher up the league tables you go the more advanced content in later years you study (but the difference between say 10th and 15th will be little, I mean when you compare 5th to say 25th)
I am interested in Cars (Automobile Engineering), The space (astrophysics) and quantum physics studies. From what i know, you need a mechaninal engineering degree for the bachelors and then a masters specialization later on. What I want to know is how the process of studies in physics works? I now that astrophyics is advances studies in the masters degree, but what should i take for my Bachelors then? Just the Bachelor in physics? which subjects would be required?
And for cars, which subjects would you recommend?

Rohit Udhwani said:
I am interested in Cars (Automobile Engineering), The space (astrophysics) and quantum physics studies. From what i know, you need a mechaninal engineering degree for the bachelors and then a masters specialization later on. What I want to know is how the process of studies in physics works? I now that astrophyics is advances studies in the masters degree, but what should i take for my Bachelors then? Just the Bachelor in physics? which subjects would be required?
And for cars, which subjects would you recommend?

Well if you want to go be a physicist and work in astrophysics etc then you need a undergraduate degree in physics not engineering, if you want to work in automobile engineering then I would imagine a mechanical engineering degree would be required.

The MPhys course is a 4 year undergraduate course so the first 3 years are the same as the bachelors course and you do an additional 4th year which is designed for people which want to go onto a phd (this is not the same as a postgraduate masters degree which is what you are talking about)

To go into astrophysics you would need to do an undergraduate degree in physics (either Bsc pr mphys but preferably the latter) then go onto do a phd in an area of astrophysics (you need a undergrad in physics as this provides the foundations for more advanced studies in a specialized area) then you can apply for post doc jobs and do research in astrophysics and then if youre good + bit lucky you get a fellowship then university position conducting research and lecturing

I did say before for physics you need to study maths and physics at A-level and preferably but not required further maths then another subject of your choosing (it doesn't really matter)

You do NOT want to do a mechanical engineering degree for going into physics, you want to do a physics degree then a phd

If youre interested in engineering at university then you will still need to do maths and phyiscs at A-level + another 2 of your choice. But you won't get into astrophysics by doing a mechanical engineering degree as a post grad masters is normally not enough you need an undergraduate degree in physics.

Likes Rohit Udhwani
max1995 said:
Well if you want to go be a physicist and work in astrophysics etc then you need a undergraduate degree in physics not engineering, if you want to work in automobile engineering then I would imagine a mechanical engineering degree would be required.

The MPhys course is a 4 year undergraduate course so the first 3 years are the same as the bachelors course and you do an additional 4th year which is designed for people which want to go onto a phd (this is not the same as a postgraduate masters degree which is what you are talking about)

To go into astrophysics you would need to do an undergraduate degree in physics (either Bsc pr mphys but preferably the latter) then go onto do a phd in an area of astrophysics (you need a undergrad in physics as this provides the foundations for more advanced studies in a specialized area) then you can apply for post doc jobs and do research in astrophysics and then if youre good + bit lucky you get a fellowship then university position conducting research and lecturing

I did say before for physics you need to study maths and physics at A-level and preferably but not required further maths then another subject of your choosing (it doesn't really matter)

You do NOT want to do a mechanical engineering degree for going into physics, you want to do a physics degree then a phd

If youre interested in engineering at university then you will still need to do maths and phyiscs at A-level + another 2 of your choice. But you won't get into astrophysics by doing a mechanical engineering degree as a post grad masters is normally not enough you need an undergraduate degree in physics.
Thanks a lot! I'd like to talk to you in personal message if possible to understand further. Is there any way can contact you?

Related to What Bachelor Program Should I Pursue for a Career in Astrophysics?

1. What is your background, Rohit?

I have a degree in science with a specialization in biology. I have been working as a research scientist for the past 5 years.

2. What brings you to this community?

I am interested in connecting with other scientists and sharing knowledge and ideas.

3. What specific areas of science are you interested in?

I am particularly interested in genetics and molecular biology.

4. What kind of research have you been involved in?

I have worked on various projects related to gene editing, genetic diseases, and stem cell research.

5. Do you have any publications or notable achievements in the scientific field?

Yes, I have co-authored several research papers and have received grants for my work in gene editing technology.