What background would a time machine inventor need?

In summary: Humorous maybe. But it's incorrect too, since time travel is an accepted part of science. The twin paradox is an actual paradox about time travel. It's just not how it's portrayed in the movies. Compact spacetimes would actually allow even more stranger kinds of time travel!
calikazam
I'm writing a story that involves a two-person team inventing and building a time machine. Essentially, Character #1 is the "big idea" type (comes up with the theory) and Character #2 does the more practical, detail work (creating and fine tuning the machine itself). If this were to happen in real life... what sort of backgrounds would these two people need to have? I've been thinking probably #1 would have a background in theoretical physics and #2 would have studied applied physics or possibly some type of engineering... but I'd love some insight from people who know the disciplines better than I do.

Thanks for any insight!

Physics news on Phys.org
calikazam said:
What background would a time machine inventor need?
Magic. :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
phinds said:

Yes, yes... we all know time travel isn't real. Which is why this is in the science fiction writing forum. :smile:

However, for the purposes of a science fiction story about time travel, I was hoping for some insight into the sort of background the fictional characters described above would probably need to have in order to invent and build a fictional time machine. Fictionally.

Well, from a marketing aspect, the closer in education and background to your audience, the wider the appeal ie High School education with a backyard garage. Can be an eccentric, with crazy ideas in time travel and truthfully, the crazier, the better. With today's audience, magic might be as good of time travel medium as any (Just look at how popular Harry Potter was/is). Use plenty of technobabble and develop a good plot or paradox story and viola! Time Travel Story/Book!

CalcNerd said:
Well, from a marketing aspect, the closer in education and background to your audience, the wider the appeal ie High School education with a backyard garage. Can be an eccentric, with crazy ideas in time travel and truthfully, the crazier, the better. With today's audience, magic might be as good of time travel medium as any (Just look at how popular Harry Potter was/is). Use plenty of technobabble and develop a good plot or paradox story and viola! Time Travel Story/Book!
Good idea, Doc Brown in back to the future was just same crazy scientist with for some reason a teenage best friend.

calikazam said:
Yes, yes... we all know time travel isn't real. Which is why this is in the science fiction writing forum. :smile:

However, for the purposes of a science fiction story about time travel, I was hoping for some insight into the sort of background the fictional characters described above would probably need to have in order to invent and build a fictional time machine. Fictionally.
I've learned when asking questions about science fiction to scientists, it's not a good idea to ask for ideas of how to make something impossible possible, but instead to phrase it in such a way like "What's the least I'd need to modify reality to allow this?"

I'd say to invent something like that, he'd have to have some deep understanding of mathematics and physics, and also a gift for creative thinking. An engineer maybe or a teacher.

phinds said:

Why do you do this? This is the science fiction forum. Do you not know what that means?

micromass said:
Why do you do this? This is the science fiction forum. Do you not know what that means?
Hey, I put a smiley after it. It was intended to be humorous.

phinds said:
Hey, I put a smiley after it. It was intended to be humorous.

Humorous maybe. But it's incorrect too, since time travel is an accepted part of science. The twin paradox is an actual paradox about time travel. It's just not how it's portrayed in the movies. Compact spacetimes would actually allow even more stranger kinds of time travel!

1. What educational background would a time machine inventor need?

A time machine inventor would need a strong foundation in physics, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics and relativity. They would also benefit from a background in engineering and computer science for designing and building the physical components and programming the software of the time machine.

2. Is a degree in science necessary to invent a time machine?

While a degree in science can provide a solid foundation for understanding the theories and principles behind time travel, it is not a requirement. Many successful inventors and scientists have made groundbreaking discoveries without a formal degree, but they often possess a strong passion and curiosity for the subject.

3. What skills are important for a time machine inventor?

Apart from a strong understanding of physics and engineering, a time machine inventor should have excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. They should also be detail-oriented and possess strong analytical skills for troubleshooting and fine-tuning the time machine.

4. Can someone with a non-scientific background invent a time machine?

While a background in science can provide a solid foundation for time machine invention, it is not a prerequisite. Someone with a non-scientific background can still invent a time machine with a strong understanding of the theories and principles behind time travel, as well as a passion for experimentation and innovation.

5. What experience is necessary to invent a time machine?

Experience in the fields of physics, engineering, and computer science would greatly benefit a time machine inventor. However, experience is not a requirement as long as the individual has a strong understanding of the theories and principles behind time travel and a willingness to learn and experiment.