What branch of math deals with nonlinear systems?

In summary, the conversation discussed the extension of linear algebra to nonlinear systems and the fields of study that relate to it, including abstract algebra and complex analysis. It was also mentioned that some calculus knowledge would be helpful in understanding linear algebra. The conversation then transitioned to discussing the different ways of writing equations and the validity of each approach in representing transformations and vector spaces.
V0ODO0CH1LD
Like linear algebra goes in depth about linear systems, what should I look for to learn about the extension of linear algebra to nonlinear systems? Is there a name of the field of study? If I go into a book store to buy books about it, what should I be looking for?

Abstract Algebra? Complex Analysis? If not, what are those anyway?

Also, I've realized that is cool to know some calculus before linear algebra to relate some topics, but not necessary. Is multivariable calculus and differential equations something I should know before all of this other things? I'm just asking cause most universities have calculus up to differential equations before any of the stuff I'm asking about, including linear algebra. Is that for a particular reason?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think linear algebra occupies a unique position because even arbitrary transformations can be treated as instantaneously linear and then integrated with respect to some parameter to capture the full, nonlinear effect of the operator. So, some calculus would be helpful there.

Abstract algebra goes into stuff about rings, fields (not fields not a vector space, but fields of numbers), and other general structures which admit an algebra but may be more exotic than the algebra of real numbers. Vector spaces are a topic of study under abstract algebra, too.

Complex analysis is the study of functions of a complex-valued variable, just as real analysis is the study of functions of a real-valued variable. Complex numbers in general are just a way of talking about points or vectors on a 2d plane.

Okay, I've another question related to the subjects we are discussing, but not to my previous question.

If you look at an equation like f(x) = y = x. It has one input and one output, right?

But you can also write it like f(x, y) = 0 = x - y. In which case you have two inputs and one constant output.

In one equation I transform the 1-dimensional vector x into the vector y using the identity function. And in the other case I transform the 2-dimensional vector <x, y> into the the 1-dimensinal vector 0. So <x, y> can be any orthogonal vector to <1, -1>.

Are both ways of looking at the equation valid?

1. What is the definition of nonlinear systems in mathematics?

Nonlinear systems in mathematics refer to systems that do not follow linear relationships between inputs and outputs. In other words, the output of the system is not directly proportional to the input. This type of system is often more complex and difficult to analyze compared to linear systems.

2. What branch of math deals with nonlinear systems?

The branch of mathematics that deals with nonlinear systems is called nonlinear dynamics or chaos theory. This field combines concepts from algebra, calculus, and geometry to study the behavior of nonlinear systems and their patterns of change over time.

3. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear systems?

Nonlinear systems are present in many natural phenomena such as weather patterns, population growth, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in engineering and technology, for example, in designing control systems for robots and predicting stock market trends.

4. How do mathematicians approach solving nonlinear systems?

There is no one specific method for solving nonlinear systems as it depends on the specific system and its characteristics. However, mathematicians often use analytical techniques, numerical methods, and computer simulations to analyze and understand the behavior of nonlinear systems.

5. What are some challenges in dealing with nonlinear systems?

Nonlinear systems are often very complex and can exhibit chaotic behavior, making them difficult to predict and control. Additionally, there may not be an exact solution for a nonlinear system, so approximations and estimations must be used. This can lead to errors and uncertainties in the analysis and understanding of the system.