What building mass should be applied for 2D analyses?

In summary, to make the 2D analysis realistic according to the New Zealand Standard for Earthquake Actions, you must use engineering judgement to distribute the original 3D structure's mass to the 2D frame. This can be done by assigning the gravity loads to the 2D frame or by distributing the uniform gravity loads of the 3D structure to the nearest beams. Care must be taken to include only the relevant loads in the mass calculation.
Sukhi
I am performing a 2D analysis on a steel frame structure that is 8 storeys high using NZS 1170.5:2004 (New Zealand Standard for Earthquake Actions). How much of the original 3D structure's mass should be added to the 2D frame to make the analysis realistic? How should this mass be distributed?
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sukhi said:
I am performing a 2D analysis on a steel frame structure that is 8 storeys high using NZS 1170.5:2004 (New Zealand Standard for Earthquake Actions). How much of the original 3D structure's mass should be added to the 2D frame to make the analysis realistic? How should this mass be distributed?
Thank you.
It looks from your other thread like you are taking a class in modeling for mechanical/civil engineering? Can you say more about the class and the projects?

berkeman said:
It looks from your other thread like you are taking a class in modeling for mechanical/civil engineering? Can you say more about the class and the projects?
I am doing a research project where I have to apply Numerical Integration Time History Analysis to a steel building. Although in other structural design codes I have found different ways by which 3D mass can be applied to 2D, I can't find the same for the New Zealand Standards. It would be greatly appreciated if you can help me with this.
Thank you.

It appears that your real question should be "How should this be done in accordance with the New Zealand Code?" which is best answered by contacting the New Zealand code authority.

PS If you are actually located in New Zealand, it is a beautiful country and you all have my greatest sympathy for the recent devastating South Island earthquake and its ongoing aftershocks.

Likes berkeman
You have to use enginnering judgement on this. If the 3D structure is regular, that is with identical 2D frames, with equal spacing between them, bracing is evenly distributed (or doesn't exist), the loads are uniform at any level etc, then a first approach would be to assign to the 2D frame, the gravity loads, at either side of the frame (up to the half spacing distance). Doing so, you assume that no framing exists in the perpendicular direction, but normally this is not against safety.

For a more robust method, you have to distribute the uniform gravity loads of the 3D straucture to the nearest beams, and then collect for each beam the mass that is assigned to it. Normally no mass is assigned to column elements and bracing, other than self weight.

Also pay attention which loads contribute to the mass. Normally the dead loads and a part of the live load is included for seismic analysis, but that depends on the seismic code.

1. What is the significance of building mass in 2D analyses?

The building mass plays a crucial role in 2D analyses as it represents the overall weight and distribution of the structure. It affects the stability, strength, and behavior of the building under different loading conditions.

2. How do you determine the appropriate building mass for 2D analyses?

The building mass is determined by considering the type of structure, its materials, and the loads it is designed to withstand. This information is usually provided by the structural engineer or can be obtained from building codes and standards.

3. Can the building mass be different for different types of analyses?

Yes, the building mass can vary for different types of analyses, such as static, dynamic, or seismic analyses. Each type of analysis requires a different approach to determine the appropriate building mass.

4. What are some common methods for applying building mass in 2D analyses?

Some common methods for applying building mass in 2D analyses include lumped mass modeling, distributed mass modeling, and modal mass modeling. These methods vary in their level of complexity and accuracy.

5. Is it necessary to consider the building mass in 2D analyses if the structure is lightweight?

Yes, even in lightweight structures, the building mass should be considered in 2D analyses. This is because the mass of the structure affects its response to external forces and can significantly impact the structural integrity and safety.