What can you do with a Math major? What does a mathematician do?

In summary, the person is still looking for a career and major that would fit them best. They are interested in math and think it may be a good fit for them. They have suggested a few options, one of which is a career as a math teacher.
mrchainsaw
I'm still searching for a major and career that would fit me best. I'm sure this has been asked many times here, sorry if so.

My whole life I've been gifted in math, it comes easy and I like it. I've started learning about more complicated stuff like Pascal's triangle, Fibinachi(sp?) numbers, Phi/golden ratio.This stuff fascinates me so I was thinking maybe a math major would fit me. I know I want to use math in my career, but I don't know exactly what a math major would lead me to. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrchainsaw said:
I'm still searching for a major and career that would fit me best. I'm sure this has been asked many times here, sorry if so.

My whole life I've been gifted in math, it comes easy and I like it. I've started learning about more complicated stuff like Pascal's triangle, Fibinachi(sp?) numbers, Phi/golden ratio.This stuff fascinates me so I was thinking maybe a math major would fit me. I know I want to use math in my career, but I don't know exactly what a math major would lead me to. Thanks.

Honestly, you have so made options I doubt you put them all in one post.

Here's a few...

Cryptographer
Professor
Actuary
Financial Analyst
Strategist

I forgot to mention that I was looking for careers that don't involve credit card companies or financial firms. I want a job that actually helps out other people and the world rather than make a new videogame or that does something insignificant and doesn't better the world. Could you also list careers that don't necesarily need a math major, but use math a lot? Thanks for the help.

mrchainsaw said:
I forgot to mention that I was looking for careers that don't involve credit card companies or financial firms. I want a job that actually helps out other people and the world rather than make a new videogame or that does something insignificant and doesn't better the world. Could you also list careers that don't necesarily need a math major, but use math a lot? Thanks for the help.

You're naive aren't you.

Without mathematics, there wouldn't be doctors, engineers, scientists, environmentalists... hell there would be nothing.

You can study mathematics for its own sake and know that some time in the future it will be used to help people.

You could become a math teacher!

You can't not be dumb to be a mathematician. Thats why I want to be one. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Nothing000 said:
You can't not be dumb to be a mathematician. Thats why I want to be one.

I think you misspoke there...

Also, there are dumb people in every profession.

There aren't not any stupid mathematicians. That is definitely and feasibly for sure. :biggrin:

Last edited:
How can you say that when by your own admission you don't know who counts as a mathematician? (I am not supporting or defending any beliefs of anyone in this thread, just pointing out that saying 'I don't know what you can do with a mathematics degree' doesn't put you in a best position to comment on the people who have one). One of the few unifying themes in academic life is the almost intolerable, to some, recalcitrance of anyone to offer such definitive wide reaching assertions without defining your terms. Does anyone with a degree in maths count as a 'mathematician'? If so there are plenty of people with such a qualification who would be described as stupid by many people.

I think the reference to you misspeaking is that twice now you've used a double negative: aren't not; can't not.

Last edited:
- x - = +
Does he mean "you have to be dumb to be...errr..." and "there are stupid mathematicians" or I'm just interpret it wrong way?:confused:

I am sorry, I was in a goofy mood. I was just kidding in both of those posts. I think I should get used to using the smily faces so that people can tell when I am kidding.

Nothing000 said:
I am sorry, I was in a goofy mood. I was just kidding in both of those posts. I think I should get used to using the smily faces so that people can tell when I am kidding.

You want to be a mathemetician because you have to be dumb to be one? I know you're being funny, but still. You're basically admitting you're dumb. :p

I would start using smileys a bit more, because it seems like you simply messed up your double negatives there.

As you can see, I have edited the posts with smileys.

mrchainsaw said:

To my knowledge it depends on your skills as a mathematician.
e.g. Are you an applied math major or pure math major? That definitely decides whether you're going to be getting a real-world (application) based job or something a little less applied. (So to speak)

Also, I have seen math majors getting jobs as computer programmers, administrators and such. Math degrees can get you a lot of jobs but it just depends on your specialization I guess.

Last edited:
Math major = Math teacher
Applied Math = Endless possibilities

Well, pure math majors do end up as computer programmers in some cases-- you're not just limited to getting a job as a math teacher...

JSBeckton said:
Math major = Math teacher

Utter, utter nonsense.

matt grime said:
Utter, utter nonsense.

Every math professor I have ever had has suggested math majors focus on applied math unless they want to be a math teacher. Its like being a English Major when you want to be a Journalist.

at the undergrad level I was told the oppurtunities are similar for pure math and applied math majors. At my school the applied math students take numerical methods and math models while the pure math students take topology and abstract algebra, and that is basically the only differences in course work, how can two courses make that much of a difference in oppurtunities after graduation?

in most schools, topology and abstract algebra are 2nd/3rd year courses.

hence, pure math majors would also end up taking topology 2, ring theory, advanced analysis, manifold theory, coding theory, cryptology...

Ends up being more than 2 courses.

JSBeckton said:
Every math professor I have ever had has suggested math majors focus on applied math unless they want to be a math teacher. Its like being a English Major when you want to be a Journalist.

Then I would suggest that that is a reflection of your particular school and not one of the situation in general. There isn't even a unique division of subjects into pure and applied mathematics within a country; the distinction is very arbitrary.

Companies like KPMG, Accenture, Barclays, HSBC, and many more blue chips (if that's the term) are very keen to hire people with pure maths degrees.

Does stats and probability count as pure? Then the Office of National Statistics in the UK wants people like that.

Why? The ability to prosper ina good mathematics program indicates abilities beyond mathematics, as well as in mathematics. If all your pure degree program does is give people enough knowledge to be a maths teacher in a US high school then that says a lot about the program.

What do you do for a living matt?

Math teacher?

No, not a maths teacher. (I am half assuming you mean high school here anyway.) Anyone who has sigs turned on can surely follow a link to my homepage.

I don't see where it says on your homepage what you do for a livng. I see the current projects that you are working for. But who pays you?

Yeah, it only says he's a 3rd year PhD student!

Where does your chedar come from. You know, green, bengamins, dead presidents; your paper?

Matt has finished his phd .

If you can't put together the fact that I work at Bristol University (the fact that my homepage is maths.bris.ac.uk means nothing to you?), and am on the staff list of the maths department (Matthew Grime, Dr), to figure out that I'm not a maths teacher then I really feel sorry for you, well not sorry, pitying perhaps that you can't figure out the host website of a page like that.There is nothing on my web page, or the department's that states I am a 3rd year PhD student as far as I am aware.

(And cheddar has two d's, last time I checked Benjamin (Franklin) was not on the any unit of Sterling currency, nor are banknotes green in the UK, but apart from that...)

Last edited:
matt grime said:
There is nothing on my web page, or the department's that states I am a 3rd year PhD student as far as I am aware.

Don't say that loud..Actually Lisa! has crush on you...So she presumed you to be a bit younger guy.:biggrin:

So where does your chedddar come from matt? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Where do you think the salary of any University employee comes from?

So you get paid to do mathematical research?

That's what happens at universities, or is this news to you?