What cause the pizza dough go to circular motion

In summary: I don't know what to say. It's hard to summarize something that's so confusing. In summary, I don't think the teacher was kidding when he said that the circular motion of a pizza dough is due to the intermolecular forces between the particles. However, I don't think that the forces are the only thing that is responsible for the motion. Other factors, such as the gravitational force, may also be at work. Additionally, it is unclear why the pizza dough does not rotate forever in space if the intermolecular forces are the only thing that is keeping it in a circular path.
rashida564
my teacher said it is the intermolecular forces between the particle but i don't agree with them so anyone can help me .

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes pizza dough go in a circular motion is the flick of the wrist of the guy who tosses it into the air. I have to believe your teacher was just pulling your leg.

Likes rashida564
it think it is the torque

what mean there the intermolecular force doesn't have any thing to do with circular motion

i have another question why did it stay in circular motion when it up

Newton's first Law.

Likes rashida564
it don't have any link to intermolecular force

Newton's first law said the object tend to move in straight line

the teacher said if the body move in circular path he need a force

rashida564 said:
the teacher said if the body move in circular path he need a force
A net force, which is the sum of the inter-molecular forces acting on a piece of dough

but way it is the inter-molecular

i don't get it i think it's worng the inter-molecular is attraction between particle and it is not to the center

and if it the inter-molecular force then it should rotate for ever

rashida564 said:
i don't get it i think it's worng the inter-molecular is attraction between particle and it is not to the center
Most dough particles have no contact to the center, just to other dough particles via inter-molecular forces.

rashida564 said:
It would in space.

that mean because the inter-molecular force ? and if it the reason why do not other body react in the same way

rashida564 said:
why do not other body react in the same way
Any body can spin forever in space if the inter-molecular forces provide enough centripetal force. Otherwise it will fly apart.

rashida564 said:
what mean there the intermolecular force doesn't have any thing to do with circular motion

Er... hello? Try just tossing it vertically upwards without any spin? The "intermolecular" forces are still there (or else the pizza dough will fall apart), yet, it is NOT spinning. So how can that be the "cause" of the spin?

This is one of the most awkward thread that I've come across lately.

Zz.

Likes phinds
rashida564 said:
If it were not for the inter molecular forces, the dough would fly apart. It would not be constrained to move in a circle but it would take a tangential route towards the wall.
But spinning pizza is complicated and probably not a good model with which to learn the basics. Many of the points raised in this thread are totally valid but they may appear to be contradictory when they're not.

Likes Chestermiller
G

1. What is the scientific explanation for the circular motion of pizza dough?

The circular motion of pizza dough is caused by the process of kneading and stretching the dough. As the dough is manipulated, the gluten strands in the dough align and form an elastic matrix. This allows the dough to stretch and expand, resulting in a circular shape.

2. Is the circular motion of pizza dough affected by the ingredients used?

Yes, the ingredients used in pizza dough can affect the circular motion. For example, the type of flour used, the amount of water, and the presence of yeast can all impact the elasticity and stretchiness of the dough, ultimately affecting its circular motion.

3. Can the environment or external factors influence the circular motion of pizza dough?

Yes, external factors such as temperature and humidity can have an impact on the circular motion of pizza dough. Warmer temperatures can make the dough more pliable and easier to stretch, while colder temperatures can make the dough stiffer and more difficult to manipulate.

4. What happens if the circular motion of pizza dough is disrupted?

If the circular motion of pizza dough is disrupted, it may affect the overall texture and appearance of the finished pizza. The dough may not rise evenly, resulting in a lopsided or misshapen crust. It may also affect the distribution of toppings and overall flavor.

5. Can the circular motion of pizza dough be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the circular motion of pizza dough can be controlled and manipulated by the person working with the dough. By adjusting the amount of kneading, stretching, and resting time, the circular motion can be altered to achieve the desired texture and shape of the dough.