What causes a radiometer to spin in bright light?

• Thread starter Tranceform
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause Spin
In summary: Actually you don't need to worry. The point of me asking this here on the forum is not to "simply getting the answer", since that is already written in the end of my book! The point of me asking here is learning and understanding, in order for me to - not only - answer the question at hand, but also understand the ideas and concepts around it.So if I understood correctly, a radiometer has nothing to do with radiation pressure? It's only about the black side getting warmer and the resulting transfer of heat?No, that's not the whole story at all. IIRC, in order to explain the outcome you need to know whether the bulb is evacuated (to a reasonable vacuum) or not.
Tranceform

Homework Statement

The photograph shows a device called a radiometer. The four regular panels are black on one side and shiny like a mirror on the other side. In bright light, the panel arrangement spins around in a direction from the black side of a panel toward the shiny side. Do photon collisions with both sides of the panels cause the observed spinning?
radiometer.png

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought a radiometer could only spin by shining light (photons) on it. And since the shiny side reflects more light, light shining on this side would make it spin in a direction from shiny towards the black side. But here it says it spins from the black panel towards the shiny side? How is that possible? What is it then that causes this spin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tranceform said:
The photograph shows a device called a radiometer. The four regular panels are black on one side and shiny like a mirror on the other side. In bright light, the panel arrangement spins around in a direction from the black side of a panel toward the shiny side. Do photon collisions with both sides of the panels cause the observed spinning?

radiometer.png
Fixed. Somehow you didn't have the appropriate image URL.

Yes, equal numbers of photons are hitting both colours. So you think the photons must be pushing harder on one side than the other?

Last edited:
The radiometer does NOT spin because of photons hitting it. You are right that if that were true, the bright side, where the photons bounce off, so transmit twice the momentum as photons "sticking to" to dark side, the rotation should be the reverse. What causes the rotation is that the black side heats the air around it more than the bright side, creating convection currents.

HallsofIvy said:
The radiometer does NOT spin because of photons hitting it. You are right that if that were true, the bright side, where the photons bounce off, so transmit twice the momentum as photons "sticking to" to dark side, the rotation should be the reverse. What causes the rotation is that the black side heats the air around it more than the bright side, creating convection currents.
This is a homework question. Forum rules say providing poster with the answer is not allowed.

NascentOxygen said:
Yes, equal numbers of photons are hitting both colours. So you think the photons must be pushing harder on one side than the other?
Yes. Well, I have never seen a radiometer IRL, so from what direction is the light shining on it? If it's put in such a direction that equally many photons hit both shiny and black side, I would assume it would rotate from shiny to black.

HallsofIvy said:
Ok, that makes sense. But strangely in my book that is not explained anywhere, actually the word "radiometer" is not even mentioned in the book before it suddenly appeared in this question. The text in the book just before this question came up was about solar sails which seem to work by radiation pressure (i.e. photons bouncing on a shiny surface thereby causing momentum in the other direction) so one would assume a radiometer would be somehow related to that.

So if I understood correctly, a radiometer has nothing to do with radiation pressure? It's only about the black side getting warmer and the resulting transfer of heat?

NascentOxygen said:
This is a homework question. Forum rules say providing poster with the answer is not allowed.
Actually you don't need to worry. The point of me asking this here on the forum is not to "simply getting the answer", since that is already written in the end of my book! The point of me asking here is learning and understanding, in order for me to - not only - answer the question at hand, but also understand the ideas and concepts around it.

So if I understood correctly, a radiometer has nothing to do with radiation pressure? It's only about the black side getting warmer and the resulting transfer of heat?
No, that's not the whole story at all. IIRC, in order to explain the outcome you need to know whether the bulb is evacuated (to a reasonable vacuum) or not.

BTW, your description of rotation as being "from black to shiny" is ambiguous and therefore conveys nothing. Try CW and CCW when viewed from above.

1. What is the "Cause of Radiometer spin" phenomenon?

The "Cause of Radiometer spin" refers to the motion of a radiometer, which is a device that measures the intensity of electromagnetic radiation. The radiometer spins when exposed to light, and this motion is caused by a combination of factors.

2. What factors contribute to the radiometer spin?

The radiometer spin is caused by several factors, including the temperature gradient between the glass bulb and the surrounding air, the partial vacuum inside the bulb, and the reflection and absorption of light by the vanes of the radiometer.

3. Why does the radiometer spin in one direction?

The radiometer spins in one direction due to the differential heating of the vanes. When one side of the vane is heated by the light, the molecules on that side move faster, creating a higher pressure and causing the vane to spin away from the light source.

4. Can the radiometer spin in the opposite direction?

Yes, the direction of the radiometer spin can be reversed by changing the temperature gradient or by using different materials for the vanes. However, the spin will always be in the direction of the lower pressure side, so it will always be away from the light source.

5. Is the radiometer spin a reliable measurement of light intensity?

No, the radiometer spin is not a precise or accurate measurement of light intensity. It is affected by various factors and can vary depending on the environment and materials used. It is more of a qualitative demonstration of the interaction between light and matter.