What causes browser issues with starting new threads on Physics Forums?

• Bug
  • Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with starting threads in a forum and how it seems to be a browser issue. The person has tried using different browsers and clearing the cache and cookies, but the problem persists. They also mention missing avatars in one of the browsers. After restarting their computer, the issue seems to have been resolved. Another participant shares their experience with having computer problems after extended use and how restarting the computer often solves them.
DrClaude
Mentor
While it might seem paradoxical that I start a thread to complain that I can't start threads, this is appears to be a browser problem. I have to use Firefox to post, as it no longer works in Safari, Version 11.0.1 (11604.3.5.1.1). For instance, the link https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/feedback-and-announcements.19/create-thread never finishes loading and the window stays blank (no error message). The problem appears to span all subforums (although I have not checked them all :-p)

I've cleared the cache and cookies, but it hasn't solved the problem.

Edit: Some avatars are also missing in Safari.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: This post was a new thread with Safari (11.0.3). I merged it with this thread now.

I can't reproduce your problem. Did you clear the cache? Are the two browsers on the same system?
Desktop vs. mobile version?

start_thread.png

Attachments

• start_thread.png
    start_thread.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 288
Likes ProfuselyQuarky and ISamson
mfb said:
Did you clear the cache? Are the two browsers on the same system?
Desktop vs. mobile version?
Yes, yes, and desktop.

I restarted my computer and it seems fine now.

Likes symbolipoint
DrClaude said:
I restarted my computer and it seems fine now.
I have had several problems in the use of computers after they had been on for several hours; I do not recall all the problems; but I too found that a restart of the computer cleared away the problems.

1. Why am I not able to start new threads?

There could be a few reasons for this. It could be due to technical issues with the platform you are using, such as a bug or error. It could also be due to restrictions set by the website or forum, such as a minimum post count requirement or a ban on starting new threads for certain users. It is best to contact the website or forum administrator for further assistance.

2. Is there a limit to the number of threads I can start?

Yes, there may be a limit set by the website or forum. This could be to prevent spam or to ensure that users are actively participating in discussions rather than just creating numerous threads. If you have reached the limit, you may need to wait for a certain period of time before being able to start new threads again.

3. Can I start a thread in any section of the forum?

It depends on the rules and guidelines set by the website or forum. Some forums may have specific sections for certain topics, while others may allow you to start a thread in any section as long as it is relevant to the overall theme of the forum. It is best to check the guidelines or ask a moderator for clarification.

4. How can I increase my chances of having my thread approved?

Make sure to follow the guidelines and rules of the website or forum. Your thread should be relevant to the section you are posting in, and it should also be well-written and thought-provoking to encourage discussion. Avoid spamming or posting repetitive content. It is also helpful to engage with other threads and participate in discussions to establish yourself as a valuable member of the community.

5. What should I do if my thread is not approved?

If your thread is not approved, it is best to contact the website or forum administrator for clarification. They may be able to provide feedback on why your thread was not approved and offer suggestions for improvement. It is important to be respectful and open to feedback in order to improve your chances of having a thread approved in the future.