What classes do you take in college to become a mathematician?

In summary, to become a mathematician, one must typically take classes in calculus, real analysis, differential geometry/topology, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is important to determine which branch of mathematics one wants to study, as the required classes may vary. Applied math programs may not require differential geometry or topology courses, while pure math programs may require electives in these areas. Upper division pure math courses are vastly different and more interesting than previous math classes.
Nerdydude101
I am just curious about what classes need to be taken to become a mathematician. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 2 branches applied or pure.

Typically the calculus serious, real analysis, differential geomeotry/topology, linear algebra, diff. Equations. Then you have to figure out what branch of mathematics you want to atudy.

Going to a university webpage and looking under degree programs shoild give you a list of classes.

Applied math programs rarely make you so Diff geo, topology. From what I have seen

Pure:
Analysis ( advanced calculus )
Abstract algebra
Proof based Linear Algebra
Electives in Diff Geo, topology, ect.

Applied:
Analysis
Differential equations + Partial
Linear Algebra
Numerical analysis ( computer math programming)
Elective math course.

These are the norms at most university's. I am not sure what math class you have taken thus far, but upper division pure math will be far from anything you have done before. I am only in calculus 1 but have self studied a lot of pure math with a professor and it is SO much different and much more interesting to me since I hate application problems.

1. What are the basic math classes required to become a mathematician?

The basic math classes required to become a mathematician may vary depending on the specific program or school, but typically include courses in calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and abstract algebra.

2. Are there any programming or computer science classes that are necessary for a career in mathematics?

Some programs may require students to take courses in programming or computer science, but it is not always necessary for a career in mathematics. However, learning programming languages such as Python, R, or MATLAB can be useful for data analysis and modeling in the field of mathematics.

3. Do I need to take any statistics courses if I want to become a mathematician?

Statistics courses are not typically required for a career in mathematics, but they can be beneficial for certain areas of mathematics such as probability theory or data analysis.

4. Are there any specific math electives that would be helpful for a career as a mathematician?

There are many different areas of mathematics and the classes you take as electives may depend on your specific interests and career goals. Some common elective courses for mathematicians include differential equations, number theory, and topology.

5. Can I take classes outside of the math department and still become a mathematician?

Yes, it is possible to take classes outside of the math department and still become a mathematician. Many mathematicians have interdisciplinary backgrounds and may take classes in fields such as physics, computer science, or economics to supplement their mathematical knowledge and skills.