What composition of steel pipe should I use

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Arjun Yadav
Hello, I work in a apparel manufacturing warehouse and I'm planning to upgrade the Jacket Hanger Racks to a rotatable conveyor. So I want to insert new Steel Pipes for hanging the Jackets which will rotate.

So, the length of the pipe is 370 cms / 12' 2", and the weight it will be holding is 200kgs / 440 lbs and the pipe will not be fixed but it will be attached at the ends on a chain conveyor.

So, I want to know what composition or type of steel should I use so that the pipe doesn't bend or break with the load.

Thank you.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
The problem is not fully specified; several things are missing. In particular ---
1) Is the weight uniformly distributed on the rack?
2) how are the racks attached and supported on the chain?
3) how much sag can you tolerate?
4) what risks are involved if the system should fail?
5) the nature of the rotation involved is not clear; a figure is needed
6) etc.
I have a feeling that there is much more to this problem than what has been presented.
 
Dr.D said:
The problem is not fully specified; several things are missing. In particular ---
1) Is the weight uniformly distributed on the rack?
2) how are the racks attached and supported on the chain?
3) how much sag can you tolerate?
4) what risks are involved if the system should fail?
5) the nature of the rotation involved is not clear; a figure is needed
6) etc.
I have a feeling that there is much more to this problem than what has been presented.
1) yes the weight is uniformly distributed.
2) they will be welded to a metal bracket which will be attached to the chain.
3) i don't think we can tolerate any amount of sag.
4) these are very premium and costly jackets so this system should not fail.
5) the rotation will be in a rectangular shape with four sprockets on each side of the diagonal of the said rectangle of length 459cms and width 85cms.
 
1) the rack will always be uniformly loaded, never only half loaded or some other fraction? Never bunched up at one end, with the other end completely unloaded.
2) this is an inadequate description of the end conditions.
3) in the real world, there will always be sag. Only in an ideal world would there be no sag.
4) again, in the real world, systems do fail from time to time for various reasons. Does anyone die if it fails? Is anyone injured?
5) it is not clear how we have rotation in a rectangular shape. What plane is the chain in? We really need a picture for this.

I strongly suggest that you engage a competent engineer to design this system for you.