Calculating Tensile Strength of Stainless Steel Sample

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
123catty456
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello, Just want to check that I am calculating something correctly if this is ok;

I did a tensile test with some rectangular stainless steel samples and got the resulting max force reached for each sample.

if the max force experienced was 410N and the samples CSA is 2mm^2 then the tensile strength of that bar is (410/2) = 205N/mm^2 = 205MPa?


Heres were I was getting confused;

the zwick was moving at 10mm/min so just wondering if I was to change the max force experienced from 410N/10mm a minute to 4100N/mm a minute... and get a tensile strength of 4000/2 = 2050 MPa?
do I have to change anything to account for 10mm/min movement of the zwick? ... it doesn't look right...

If I am looking to replace this material I just need its UTS to be higher than this tensile strength value right?

thanks! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
123catty456 said:
Hello, Just want to check that I am calculating something correctly if this is ok;

I did a tensile test with some rectangular stainless steel samples and got the resulting max force reached for each sample.

if the max force experienced was 410N and the samples CSA is 2mm^2 then the tensile strength of that bar is (410/2) = 205N/mm^2 = 205MPa?


Heres were I was getting confused;

the zwick was moving at 10mm/min so just wondering if I was to change the max force experienced from 410N/10mm a minute to 4100N/mm a minute... and get a tensile strength of 4000/2 = 2050 MPa?
do I have to change anything to account for 10mm/min movement of the zwick? ... it doesn't look right...

If I am looking to replace this material I just need its UTS to be higher than this tensile strength value right?

thanks! :)
The tensile strength is independent of the rate of strain. You should also get the same stress-strain curve, irrespective of hwo fast the zwick is moving.
 
Hi Chestmermiller,

thank you for your reply, that's great I was just getting confused about that!

and so is the tensile strength of 205 N/mm^2 the correct answer then?

thanks :)
 
123catty456 said:
Hi Chestmermiller,

thank you for your reply, that's great I was just getting confused about that!

and so is the tensile strength of 205 N/mm^2 the correct answer then?

thanks :)
Yes.