What courses needed for molecular biology grad school?

In summary, the person is an applied math major planning to go to grad school for molecular biology. They have taken a variety of relevant courses and are wondering if it is enough. They also ask about the importance of research experience and mention not being able to get it during undergrad. The expert suggests contacting graduate programs directly for their specific requirements and mentions that research experience can come from a senior thesis project, volunteer position, or summer job. They also mention that physical chemistry may be relevant.
set
Hi, I'm an applied math major who wants to go to grad school for molecular biology. In my plan, I have included:
  • Intro to cell biology & lab
  • Intro to genetics
  • Intro to microbiology
  • molecular biology & lab
  • advanced cell biology
  • bioinformatics
  • biological sequence analysis
  • intro to biochemistry
  • intro to organic chemistry
I was wondering if those courses are enough.
Also, how important is research experience? I don't think I can get one while in undergrad, but I am not shooting for top schools either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Really these are questions for the graduate schools that you're interested in attending. I don't have much experience with molecular biology programs, but I highly suspect they are primarily interested in students that have degrees in molecular biology, much in the same way physics gradaute schools are primarily interest in students with undergraduate degrees in physics.

Why not check out a few gradaute programs the seem appealing to you and ask them what they need you to have in order to be considered for admission.

Generally with respect to reseach some kind of experience helps, but it's not manditory. (My experience is with physics, but again, I suspect it's the same in biology). Remember that a senior thesis project can count in this respect. So could a volunteer position or a summer job. The big factor that comes with research experience is that it gives your references something to say about you. If you haven't done this, then you might need to have something else they can draw on - success in a reading course perhaps.

Thanks, I'll try to contact them directly.

What about physical chemistry, I think that should be relevant as well.

set said:
hi, I'm an applied math major who wants to go to grad school for molecular biology. In my plan, i have included:
  • intro to cell biology & lab
  • intro to genetics
  • intro to microbiology
  • molecular biology & lab
  • advanced cell biology
  • bioinformatics
  • biological sequence analysis
  • intro to biochemistry
  • intro to organic chemistry
i was wondering if those courses are enough.
Also, how important is research experience? I don't think i can get one while in undergrad, but i am not shooting for top schools either.

I don't think you need all of those classes to get in. Research experience is supposed to be really important and you can get it in grad school. I'm trying to do biology grad school as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What undergraduate courses are required for molecular biology grad school?

The specific undergraduate courses required for molecular biology grad school may vary depending on the program, but a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics is typically necessary. Some programs may also require coursework in biochemistry, genetics, and cell biology.

2. Are there any specific research or lab experience requirements for molecular biology grad school?

Many molecular biology graduate programs highly value research and lab experience. Some may require a certain number of hours or semesters of research experience, while others may prefer applicants with publications or conference presentations.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific degree or major in order to apply for molecular biology grad school?

Most molecular biology graduate programs do not require applicants to have a specific degree or major. However, having a degree in a related field such as biology, biochemistry, or genetics may be beneficial.

4. Are there any prerequisite courses that I should take before applying to molecular biology grad school?

Some programs may have specific prerequisite courses that they recommend or require applicants to take before applying. These may include courses in molecular biology, biochemistry, or genetics. It is important to research the requirements of each program you are interested in.

5. Can I apply to molecular biology grad school without a strong background in science?

While a strong background in science is typically necessary for molecular biology grad school, some programs may consider applicants with non-traditional backgrounds. It is important to research the requirements and application process for each program to determine if your background is a good fit.