1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses What courses to take to prepare for MS in Electrical Engineering?

1. Dec 2, 2016 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to apply for MS in Electrical Engineering with specialization in Computer Engineering. I have BS degree in Applied Mathematics with Emphasis in Computational Science. My question is what physics or engineering classes would you recommend to take before starting the program? What courses are an absolute must? I'm planning to apply for Fall 2018 so I have some time to prepare myself for the program.

I would appreciate your feedback!
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Are you applying at the same school where you got your undergrad degree? If so, you should have access to advisers who can help you out. If not, you should still be able to contact somebody at your new school to ask this question. They would be able to give you better school-specific advice than we can.

Beyond that, I'd look at the syllabus for your graduate degree, and think about what it looks like you may need to brush up on to be able to handle those new courses... Have fun!

4. Dec 3, 2016 #3
    From what I've gathered, most graduate programs want you taking Senior Level and Graduate courses. You might be able to cover a course or two at a lower level once you're admitted, but it would be best to get those out of the way first.

You'll definitely need to take two semesters of Calculus-based physics if you haven't already. Based on all the math you have, that should be no problem for you.

5. Dec 3, 2016 #4
    Thank you for your response.
    I will be applying to a different school not the same school where I got my undergrad. I'm trying to contact advising services but I haven't received any response yet.
    Thanks for your advice, I'll take a look at the syllabus for my graduate program.

6. Dec 3, 2016 #5
    Thank you for your response! I thought schools usually give you some time to catch up. I was planning to take some CS and Physics courses to prepare myself. Another concern that I have is recommendation letters. I graduated 4 years ago so I think taking some classes will help me to get some recommendation letters from professors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted