1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do DC magnetic fields do to salt water.

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    What effect does a DC magnetic field probe have when submerged in salt water ?

i.e. There is not an electrode..just a plastic insulator with calcium ions pulsing through it giving off a magnetic pulse submerged in salt water.

Sodium ions are paramagnetic, so would these be attracted to the probe ?
    What about the chloride ions, these are diamagnetic..would the be repelled by the probe ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2

SpectraCat

Science Advisor

Ummm ... what makes you think that sodium ions are paramagnetic? They have a closed shell .. basically a neon atom with an extra proton and neutron.

Anyway, any charged particle will feel a force from the magnetic field ... they will tend to bend around the magnetic field lines due to the Lorentz force: [tex]\vec{F}=q\left(\vec{E} + \vec{v}\times\vec{B}\right)[/tex]. Since it is a pulsed field, that force will be time-dependent, and so any induced motions of the ions will be transient. I suppose if you got the field magnitude up and ran a pulse train through it, then this could be a bizarre way to heat up salt water. I think it would be pretty complicated to model though, given that it is happening in a fluid with both positive and negative ions present.\times

4. Feb 17, 2010 #3
    my mistake ..it is the sodium molecule that wiki says is paramagnetic, not the ion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook