What do i do if my control system is not observable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a state space model using Matlab. The system has a 4x4 A matrix and a 4x1 B matrix with 2 inputs and 1 output. The use of the ctrb function and rank function revealed that the system is not fully observable, but this does not mean that a state space feedback cannot be created. Additional sensors can be added to make the system fully observable and allow for the use of state-space equations in creating a feedback controller.
Hyperian
so i made a state space model of a physical system where A matrix is 4 by 4 and B matrix is 4 by 1. I have 2 inputs in the system and 1 output.

I used Matlab to create the A,B,C,D matrices and i used the ctrb (controlability matrix), then the rank function.

instead of rank 4 (full rank) i get rank 3. from my understanding this means my system is not fully observable. does this mean i cannot create a state space feedback with the equations and would have to go with something like fuzzy logic or PID for a feedback?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it does not mean that you cannot create a state space feedback with the equations. It just means that the system is not fully observable, which means that you may not be able to observe all the states of the system. This can be addressed by adding additional sensors to the system so that the system is fully observable. With a full observability matrix, you can then use the equations to create a state-space feedback controller.

Related to What do i do if my control system is not observable?

1. What is observability in a control system?

Observability in a control system refers to the ability to determine the internal states of the system based on the available inputs and outputs. A control system is considered observable if its internal states can be fully determined from its outputs.

2. How can I tell if my control system is not observable?

A control system is not observable if there are internal states that cannot be determined from the available inputs and outputs. This can be identified by performing a mathematical analysis on the system, such as using the Kalman decomposition method or observability matrix.

3. What are the consequences of having a non-observable control system?

If a control system is not observable, it means that certain internal states cannot be measured or controlled. This can lead to incorrect or unstable behavior of the system, making it difficult to achieve desired performance.

4. How can I make my control system observable?

To make a control system observable, it may be necessary to redesign the system or add additional sensors. This can help provide more information about the internal states of the system, making it easier to control and improve its overall performance.

5. Can a non-observable control system be used?

In some cases, a non-observable control system can still be used, but it may require more complex control algorithms or have limited performance. It is generally recommended to make a control system observable to optimize its performance and ensure reliable operation.