What Do I Observe Moving Around in Curved Space

In summary, in flat space, if one measures the angles of a triangle, the sum adds to 180 degrees. In spherical space, the sum is greater than 180. If someone throws a switch to turn it into spherical space, do you look the same to me? In summary, yes.
solarblast
I understand some of the basic concepts of curved space, flat, positive, negative, spheres, saddles, etc. In flat space, if one measures the angles of a triangle, the sum adds to 180 degrees. In spherical space, the sum is greater than 180.

OK, how do things work in spherical space? If I shine a light in front of me, does it curve around as on a great circle and hit me in the back? How do I determine the length of a curve (I suppose assuming I'm not attached or standing on anything, but am free to float with a jetpack) or the radius of the circle it makes? Put down a marker and walk (jet) through "space" trying somehow to keep a "straight" path? What's straight here? Does it need to be a great circle or can I pick any old circle?

If you and I are in flat space, and I see you, then someone throws a switch to turn it into spherical space, do you look the same to me?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi solarblast! Welcome to PF! :smile:
solarblast said:
… If I shine a light in front of me, does it curve around as on a great circle and hit me in the back?

If nothing gets in the way, and if you live long enough, yes.
How do I determine the length of a curve (I suppose assuming I'm not attached or standing on anything, but am free to float with a jetpack) or the radius of the circle it makes? Put down a marker and walk (jet) through "space" trying somehow to keep a "straight" path? What's straight here? Does it need to be a great circle or can I pick any old circle?

What's straight? Straight is straight!

There isn't a problem.

Do you have any difficulty walking a straight line on the Earth (or sailing a straight line on the sea)?
If you and I are in flat space, and I see you, then someone throws a switch to turn it into spherical space, do you look the same to me?

If I'm large enough, my circumference will be smaller than expected, compared with my radius. :smile:

As I have begun to realize, straight is a geodesic, the shortest distance between two points. To achieve it in space one ties a cord to something and stretches it out. I can certainly walk along a line of latitude that might be considered straight, but it is not the same as a geodesic, or straight in the sense used by physicists and mathematicians in describing these ideas. However, putting that aside, I see that I confused myself somewhat. When they speak of spherical space, they mean 2-D, the surface itself. Hang onto that for a moment.

A 2-D flat surface is like a piece of paper. The idea of it being defined by triangles having the sum of its angles is 180 degrees is clear there, but some books add to this that our 3-D universe behaves as though these ideas are true in it. In other words, if we are in a 3-D space making measurements of a triangle, the results are those one observes in a 2-D world. This is where the confusion is. What I was thinking is that authors were saying is that the geometric laws of the sphere might apply to our world in the same sense. Something like one space embedded (immersed) in another. Assuming this is correct, then my question has to do with the effects with what we would see in our 3-D universe.

solarblast said:
What I was thinking is that authors were saying is that the geometric laws of the sphere might apply to our world in the same sense. Something like one space embedded (immersed) in another. Assuming this is correct, then my question has to do with the effects with what we would see in our 3-D universe.

The change in the perimeter/diameter ratio of a triangle or circle is the same in 3D as it is in 2D … the authors are saying that, in 3D, any 2D plane will show the same geometrical laws.

(And we don't see in 3D … wee see a 2D projection of whatever's in front of us.)

What is curved space?

Curved space, also known as curved spacetime, is a concept in physics that describes the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects such as planets and stars. It is a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains the force of gravity as the curvature of spacetime.

What do I observe when something moves around in curved space?

When something moves around in curved space, you may observe that its path is curved instead of straight. This is because the massive object is bending the space and time around it, causing the object to follow a curved path in spacetime.

How does curved space affect the motion of objects?

Curved space affects the motion of objects by altering their paths and speeds. Objects will follow the curvature of spacetime, which means they may appear to accelerate or decelerate depending on the strength of the gravitational force from the massive object.

Can curved space be observed in everyday life?

Yes, curved space can be observed in everyday life. For example, the orbit of planets around the sun, the motion of satellites around the Earth, and the bending of light around massive objects are all examples of curved space in action.

Is it possible to travel through curved space?

It is possible to travel through curved space, as we do so every day without realizing it. However, traveling through curved space in a controlled manner, such as through a wormhole, is still a topic of scientific research and is not currently possible with our current technology.