What do you need to do to get an avatar/icon?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, to get an avatar/icon on this forum, you either need to pay or have 1000+ posts. User Andre has 1000+ posts but does not have any title or awards next to his name, although he should. Any paying user can use an avatar if they wish to, and premium memberships are cheap. Avatars were originally available to all members before the contributor deal was introduced, but now they are a perk for contributing. Existing members with avatars were allowed to keep them until they attempted to change it, at which point they would have to start contributing to have an avatar again. Some members have multiple avatars saved in their folders, and it is possible to remove an avatar through Firefox
Mk
What do you need to do to get an avatar/icon? It seems like you either need to pay, or have 1000+ posts. User Andre for instance has no things by his name like "science advisor" or "mentor" or any "awards," (though he should) and his name is not in gold/yellow. But he DOES have 1000+ posts. I think any paying user can use an avatar if they wish to, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've got one, but that's because I joined before the whole contributor deal...

Dimitri Terryn said:
I've got one, but that's because I joined before the whole contributor deal...
Have you looked at your posts lately? You don't have an "awarded" avatar, just a thumbnail picture of someone with an obscurely Belgian appearance.

EnumaElish said:
Have you looked at your posts lately? You don't have an "awarded" avatar, just a thumbnail picture of someone with an obscurely Belgian appearance.
Avatars aren't awarded. Dimitri has an avatar because he's HOT and super smart. :!) :!)

He also has one because before PF solicited contributions, members could have avatars. When Greg made the change to where an avatar was one of the perks for contributing, he allowed all existing members with avatars to keep theirs.

Evo said:
He also has one because before PF solicited contributions, members could have avatars. When Greg made the change to where an avatar was one of the perks for contributing, he allowed all existing members with avatars to keep theirs.
At least until they attempt to change it...I had one before they changed the rules, but the moment I tried to change it to a new avatar, the option went away and I couldn't even get my old one back until I started contributing (and then couldn't find my old one again). :grumpy:

Mk said:
What do you need to do to get an avatar/icon? It seems like you either need to pay, or have 1000+ posts. User Andre for instance has no things by his name like "science advisor" or "mentor" or any "awards," (though he should) and his name is not in gold/yellow. But he DOES have 1000+ posts. I think any paying user can use an avatar if they wish to, right?
premium memberships are really cheap.

<<<you could do some things for a certain contributer and he/she might just talk to greg really nicely... :devil:

there are many other places where i can *expose* my avatars. I have a lot of them including xxx, in my folders,

djeipa said:
there are many other places where i can *expose* my avatars. I have a lot of them including xxx, in my folders,
No, djeipa, that's what you're supposed to tell certain romantically inclined parties after a few beers together. "Wanna see my avatars? They're where I live, which is right around the corner."

yomamma said:
premium memberships are really cheap.

If I were Greg, I'd make you pay through the nose for making us look at the assface.

Tom Mattson said:
If I were Greg, I'd make you pay through the nose for making us look at the assface.

:rofl: i wonder where he found that pic...

Tom Mattson said:
The wonderfulness of firefox :smile:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4030/removeavatar3ou.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Mattson said:
<<<Ewww... through the nose? <<<

wonderfullness
wow

1. How do I create an avatar/icon?

To create an avatar/icon, you can use an online avatar maker or design software such as Adobe Photoshop or Canva. You can also draw or digitally create your own image and save it as a square image in .png or .jpg format.

2. What size should my avatar/icon be?

The recommended size for an avatar/icon is 200x200 pixels. However, the exact size may vary depending on the platform or website where you will be using it. It's best to check their guidelines for specific size requirements.

3. Can I use any image as my avatar/icon?

Yes, you can use any image as your avatar/icon as long as it follows the platform's guidelines and does not violate any copyright or trademark laws. It's also important to choose an image that represents you or your brand accurately.

4. How do I upload my avatar/icon to my profile?

To upload your avatar/icon to your profile, you can usually go to your account settings or profile settings and look for the option to upload a profile picture. From there, you can select the image you want to use and adjust it if necessary.

5. Do I need to have any technical skills to get an avatar/icon?

No, you do not need to have any technical skills to get an avatar/icon. As long as you have an image that follows the recommended size and guidelines, you can easily upload it to your profile or website. However, if you want to design your own avatar/icon, some basic design skills may be helpful.