Understanding the Controversy: Simplifying 0^0 in Calculus

• Thread starter Null_
  • Start date
In summary, the question is whether 0^0 equals 0 or 1. After researching and considering the definition and application of exponent laws, it is generally agreed that 0^0 is undefined or left as a choice of convention. However, in some cases, it may be defined as 1 for simplification purposes.
Null_

Homework Statement

It's a word problem, but I just need to simplify 0^0.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

0^n = 0.
n^0 = 1.

I'm just going through a calculus book on my own this summer. It's not even a calculus question, but I've never come across this before. Which is it? 0 or 1? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org

I believe it's 0 (or not even defined, such as in poles of a polynom), because from what I can remember n^0 = 1 is by definition only true for those n that are different from 0.

Last edited:

0^0 is undefined.

From Wolfram Mathworld http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExponentLaws.html

The definition 0^0=1 is sometimes used to simplify formulas, but it should be kept in mind that this equality is a definition and not a fundamental mathematical truth (Knuth 1992; Knuth 1997, p. 56).

Okay, thanks guys. Wolfram is awesome!

Consider the binomial expansion:

[tex] 1 = 1^2=(x+(1-x))^2 =\binom 2 0 x^0(1-x)^2+\binom 2 1 x^1(1-x) + \binom 2 2 x^2(1-x)^0[/tex]

This doesn't work for x = 0 or 1 unless you define 00 = 1. That is an example of why it is usually defined as 1. Also why 0! = 1 in the same example.

What is 0^0?

The expression 0^0 is a mathematical notation that represents raising 0 to the 0th power. It is also known as a zeroth power or zero exponent.

Is 0^0 equal to 1?

Yes, according to most mathematical conventions, 0^0 is equal to 1. This is because any number raised to the 0th power is equal to 1.

Why is 0^0 equal to 1?

The value of 0^0 being equal to 1 is a convention that is used in mathematics for consistency and simplicity. It also follows the pattern of any number raised to the 0th power being equal to 1.

Are there any exceptions to 0^0 being equal to 1?

There are some contexts in which 0^0 may be considered undefined, such as in limits and indeterminate forms. However, in most cases, 0^0 is understood to be equal to 1.

How is 0^0 used in different fields of science?

In mathematics, 0^0 is used in algebra and calculus. In physics, it is used in thermodynamics and electromagnetism. In computer science, it is used in programming and algorithms. In other fields such as chemistry and biology, it may also be used in various calculations and equations.